NEW SULCATA TORTOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
i just fed my tort phoenix some timothy hay and alfalfa mixed with red leaf lettuce...... he loved the red leaf but didnt take to the dry timothy and alfalfa. is this common? do you think he will eat grass if it is fresh?

my backyard is desert landscape with no grass. i plan on planting multiple small patches of grass, but do you think he will grub that?

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
Yes he will eat fresh grass, my sully loves it. I cut it up into smaller pieces for him. The timothy I cut up also. Try to not feed alfalfa as the protein level in it too high for them. When mine is outside (getting the much needed sunshine) he'll walk around grazing on grass and weeds. Sometimes you can wet the 'dry' hays or grasses and they'll eat it. Fresh foods (grass, weeds, spring mix) are tender and easier for them to eat. Remember that variety is the key. Would you want to eat the same thing everyday?....

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
no i wouldnt want to eat the same thing everyday;) ive been mixing it up, and hes been eating a pooping. so im overall happy with my new tort. but im still want to plant grass and a mix i found at carolinasupply or whatever its called.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CELLMASS said:
my backyard is desert landscape with no grass. i plan on planting multiple small patches of grass, but do you think he will grub that?

Given enough time (and not very much) your sulcata will eat everything down to the dirt. Unless you continually move him and block off areas, you will have bare dirt in no time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DonaTello said:
'Forget' a lawn mower, just buy a sully.........Lol

Yes...family oriented and all that...

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
i was telling my gofo aka my girlfriend, that i shouls just raise 7 sulcata and start a lawn service. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.