New Sulcata Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoovolunteer1996

5 Year Member
I'm getting a Sulcata Tortoise hatchling very soon and I was wondering, since I live in the Chicago area, if I can keep my new tortoise inside all year round because I don't have a yard. I plan on keeping it in a very large Rubbermaid Container until it gets to be about a year and a half old, then keeping it in a large kiddy pool. Let me know what you guys think of this. Thanks!

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Zoovolunteer1996 said:
I'm getting a Sulcata Tortoise hatchling very soon and I was wondering, since I live in the Chicago area, if I can keep my new tortoise inside all year round because I don't have a yard. I plan on keeping it in a very large Rubbermaid Container until it gets to be about a year and a half old, then keeping it in a large kiddy pool. Let me know what you guys think of this. Thanks!

I don't know the answer, but I am curious as well. I too am in the same area, and will be getting my sulcata in October. :) Hiya neighbor!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I am not sure about that idea. I know that it is good to keep them inside for the first year and maybe two would be alright but they belong outside after that. They need to have sunshine, grass, weeds and lots of room to exercise and be tortoises. If you always planned on having it inside, I would look into getting a different kind of pet. Maybe if you are set on a tortoise do your research and find one that would do better inside but if you are set on a sulcata you should wait until you can house it properly. Good Luck with everything.:)

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
lovelyrosepetal said:
I am not sure about that idea. I know that it is good to keep them inside for the first year and maybe two would be alright but they belong outside after that. They need to have sunshine, grass, weeds and lots of room to exercise and be tortoises. If you always planned on having it inside, I would look into getting a different kind of pet. Maybe if you are set on a tortoise do your research and find one that would do better inside but if you are set on a sulcata you should wait until you can house it properly. Good Luck with everything.:)

Very much agree.

As soon as I read the title of the post, I was thinking..."here we go again..."

Seriously - you feel it's humane and cool to keep a tortoise that becomes relatively HUGE very quickly inside most of it's life? Do understand how bad the stank will get? In a rubbermaid tub? That'll last about 3 years...then what? I've lived in Chicago for a bit, the summers are hot, humid - not exactly an adult Sulcata's environment. Winters are frigid - heck, it's cold there most the time.

You ought to get a redfoot...or a russian. It makes me sad to think about the truly unfortunate lives many of these torts live...inside a glass tank or rubber box and a artificial light.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I agree I have a whole 55gal tank for my 3 month old and he still only sleeps in it at night for the most part he has grown quickly as the tank itself will not last much longer what is going to happen of you end up with a 100lb tort inside? The like to dig and explore inside can't provide that. I would rethink the species maybe get a smaller species of tort even then they need to be outside more often there was a study done recently about how UVB bulbs don't work right on torts they are ok for a short period (winter/fall) but the shell and the way it's made doesn't work properly like with most reptiles I'll try and find the article for you

Status
Not open for further replies.