New Sulcata hatchling owner… is this normal

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Discharge says: Bayteil injection, triple antibiotic (that’s the ointment for the cut)

Hoping this means he’s a reliable vet?
So it looks like you did get Baytril or Enrofloxacin as the injection. Something you need to understand is that those injections are very painful to the tort. They burn at the site of the injection and cause tremendous pain. @Yvonne G knows better about this than I but you may be able to do "Flushes" in the nares "The nose nostrils" and still get the results needed for the RI (respiratory infection). You should proceed with dabbing petroleum on the dried blood, with caution to not cover the nares. And just because the vet used baytril doesn't mean it's a good vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One Baytril injection isn't going to do much except sting and burn at the injection site. The usual dose for Baytril is once a day for five days, or once a day every other day for 10 days. If it were my tortoise I WOULD NOT give any more Baytril. Ceftazidime is a much gentler-on-the-tortoise antibiotic. But if you put the tortoise in a smaller hospital tank and up the temperature day and night to about 85 degrees I think you'll see improvement.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
One Baytril injection isn't going to do much except sting and burn at the injection site. The usual dose for Baytril is once a day for five days, or once a day every other day for 10 days. If it were my tortoise I WOULD NOT give any more Baytril. Ceftazidime is a much gentler-on-the-tortoise antibiotic. But if you put the tortoise in a smaller hospital tank and up the temperature day and night to about 85 degrees I think you'll see improvement.
Thats what I was waiting for. You have just received the info @honeytonette you need to treat your tort. I would take this info and skip out on future injections.