New Sulcata Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Welcome :) Looks pretty good. What kind of light is that?

A good setup, in my opinion, will have:
* Well defined warm end that includes a specific hot basking spot. Then a cool end.
*It will be brightly lit up, but have plenty of hides and fake\real plants.
* Lights will be on a timer, so lights out at night on a regular schedule. A CHE or other non-visible light lamp may be used to keep temps above 65-70 at night if needed.
* It will have fairly deep, diggable substrate that holds moisture well. It will be kept moist, only allowing the surface to get dry, but moist substrate is available with a little digging. Especially in the warm end hide where the tort may want to sleep\nap.
* Hides should be dark, snug, with diggable moist substrate to settle into during sleep time.
* There will be a shallow wading pool - easy in and out access.
* Sides should be high enough that the tort cannot climb out. This includes keeping hides, rocks, plants away from the sides where the tort could climb up and out.

Other ideas?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would take the metal piece off the cuttlebone, and push the hide up against an end of the tank so it feels more secure to the tortoise. He wants to feel safe while he's sleeping and having both ends open is not snug enough. There is just one light, so what are you using to keep that baby warm at night when the day light is turned off? Also it is my understanding that UVB lights need to be pointed straight done, not at an angle as yours is.
It would be nice if he had a soaking dish that he could climb in and out of, but as long as you are soaking him daily a dish isn't all that important...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I would put a flat piece of slate to eat greens off of. Easy to get to and helps keep the beak trimmed. Looking Good you’re getting there!

Status
Not open for further replies.