New Sucalta owner

Jbrown

Location (City and/or State)
Plano, Texas
I'm new to owning a Tortoise, I have a 5 week old sucalta named Maximus, and he's incredible!! Any helpful info is welcomed... Enjoy the pics!!

Jbrown
Dallas, Tx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 20

Tort-Rex

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
Do you have a water and food dish in the enclosure?

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

hessbrit

Welcome! I'm a first time tort owner as well. The one thing I've really taken away from this forum is how important humidity is. You'll find some great threads on it. I'm sure some more experienced tort keepers will chime in here to help you out. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello, Welcome and Congrats........

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, J!

Be sure to read the threads at the top of the Sulcata section here on the Forum. Husbandry for baby sulcatas has changed drastically from you you knew before or from what you may have read in books.

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs a soaking pool, rocks, branches and other stuff to make it interesting. He needs heat at night, he should stay about 80 degrees at night. He needs a good basking light and to be soaked daily. I'd cover that top, and wet the substrate, that will help create the needed 80% humidity. Be sure to read those care sheets at the top of the Sulcata forum. It's not easy to raise a Sulcata hatchling without creating pyramiding, those links will tell you the best way to raise him. Welcome...

Jbrown

Plano, Texas
Absolutely... I have two small chaffing dishes that are similar to the plant bottom that are buried in the substrate to make even with the surface. I also have a hiding spot, and the substrate I'm using is coconut coir... I'm only allowing my 4 year old to watch and play as to ease the transition for both. Currently I have a 20g glass tank with a fixture for basking and two thermometers to measure heat and humidity it is currently at 80 humidity and 75 temp... Obviously for night time is that acceptable..