New Star Keeper, New To Forum

K.8.E.

Hi Y'all! I have recently acquired an India Star tortoise. Should I be concerned that he lays in his water dish most of the day - in the water? I'm also wondering about his eating habits. I change out his feed dish every morning with fresh food but most of the time it looks like it is untouched - other than what gets disturbed when he crawls over it. I have been feeding him zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, some romaine, a few rose petals, and Grassland Tort food from Zoo Med - not all at the same time of course but I'm trying to find something he will eat. Any information will be helpful!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea about star tortoises as I don't have any . There's some awesome star keepers here to help you out . Welcome to TFO .

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . May I ask where did you get the "star tort" from ? That can effect the diet !

K.8.E.

Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . May I ask where did you get the "star tort" from ? That can effect the diet !
We found him in our yard and couldn't really figure out how he got in as the yard is fenced on three sides with the fourth side on the bayou. When I saw him, I knew it was a tortoise rather than a turtle but did not know what kind. Not knowing, we put him in the overgrown, wooded lot next door. A week later he showed up just outside our gate. Since he came to us twice we figured it was in our cards to try to find his keeper. We posted 'found' ads with no luck so we figured whoever had him just turned him loose. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that idea but with lack of responses to the ads, it was the only thing I could think had happened. He is a sweetie! And I'm glad he chose us for his new family. I looked at images of tortoises on the internet and that is how I found out why kind of tortoise he is, and then I did research on the species - I became India Star tortoise overloaded on information - I'm still weeding my way through everything - and learning in the process. I just don't want to put his health in jeopardy. So any help regarding his diet would be wonderful!!

K.8.E.

We found him in our yard and couldn't really figure out how he got in as the yard is fenced on three sides with the fourth side on the bayou. When I saw him, I knew it was a tortoise rather than a turtle but did not know what kind. Not knowing, we put him in the overgrown, wooded lot next door. A week later he showed up just outside our gate. Since he came to us twice we figured it was in our cards to try to find his keeper. We posted 'found' ads with no luck so we figured whoever had him just turned him loose. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that idea but with lack of responses to the ads, it was the only thing I could think had happened. He is a sweetie! And I'm glad he chose us for his new family. I looked at images of tortoises on the internet and that is how I found out why kind of tortoise he is

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We found him in our yard and couldn't really figure out how he got in as the yard is fenced on three sides with the fourth side on the bayou. When I saw him, I knew it was a tortoise rather than a turtle but did not know what kind. Not knowing, we put him in the overgrown, wooded lot next door. A week later he showed up just outside our gate. Since he came to us twice we figured it was in our cards to try to find his keeper. We posted 'found' ads with no luck so we figured whoever had him just turned him loose. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that idea but with lack of responses to the ads, it was the only thing I could think had happened. He is a sweetie! And I'm glad he chose us for his new family. I looked at images of tortoises on the internet and that is how I found out why kind of tortoise he is
The reason I ask if you bought him ask what they feed and if you got it from someone you could ask them some people feed torts some real weird stuff and you have to ween the tort off the junk . But in your case I wasn't much help !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Katie, I'm sure the little tort who has adopted you will be well cared for because you have taken the trouble to look for advice and found a great place for that. If you follow the care sheets and advice as best you can then will you have a happy, healthy tort for a long time. Welcome

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks so much for looking after the little fellow.
A warm welcome to you and your tortoise to Tortoise Forum.
The care sheets here have the most complete and up to date information available, or so I believe.
You can post on the appropriate forum to grab the attention of fellow star owners.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie, and welcome to the forum!

I hate to come off like a Doubting Thomas, but I really don't believe you have a star tortoise. They cost a lot of money and anyone who keeps them would be pulling out all the stops to advertise he's been lost.

We won't be able to help you until we can see pictures of the animal you've found. I'm going to guess it's an ornate box turtle.

K.8.E.

Hi Katie, and welcome to the forum!

I hate to come off like a Doubting Thomas, but I really don't believe you have a star tortoise. They cost a lot of money and anyone who keeps them would be pulling out all the stops to advertise he's been lost.

We won't be able to help you until we can see pictures of the animal you've found. I'm going to guess it's an ornate box turtle.

Hello Yvonne! You are right to be a 'doubting Thomas'. It turns out Coleman is an ornate box turtle/tortoise. I have attempted to attach a photo but have failed miserably. I did look for images of ornate box turtles on the internet and did recognize the shell pattern differences between Coleman and India Star tortoises. So I have seen ornate box 'turtle' and ornate box 'tortoise' - which is it? Turtle or tortoise? Thank you so much for you information; it has helped tremendously!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know which bayou you live near, but it is likely you have a native species there and you can just turn him loose in a safe area.