New Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmayor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA.
Hi everyone i just got a new russian i have had her for four days now and she hasnt eaten yet i have tried everything and she still has not eaten. the temp in the tank is about 80. can anyone please give some thoughts or ideas on what it can be

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gabe:

It sometimes takes a week or more for a tortoise to settle into his new home and relax and eat. Do you have a big enough tort table so that the tortoise can cool off from the 80 degree temp?

It needs to be around room temperature on one end, about 100 directly under the light (an MVB or UV light) and around 80 at the other end.

Give him a good soak.

If at all possible, some outdoor time is also helpful.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
where did you get it from ? is it young or adult? any history? what are you trying to feed it? what did it eat before? Are the lights on long enough during the day? can you put it outside safely?
and welcome!!!
I have a male, adult.. uknw age.. he lives outside year round...

is it seperate from your sulcata??

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
Yeah she is in a 50 gal. and from what i have read that is big enough if not please let me know if it is or not. But ok i will soak her again and give it some more time when should i start to worry though?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura's questions reminded me:

If it was a wild caught tortoise it might have a parasite infestation. Can you take a stool sample to the vet to be looked at?

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
I know the person i got it from had it for over a year already and it has being eating great! but since the move she hasnt eaten. But some good news is when i took her out for a little she started to eat grass which really excited me so that is a good sign right? but for some reason she hasnt eaten any of the normal stuff but i grass is better for her anyways right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it needs time to adjust really, if is eating it is probably frightened and unsure still.

Status
Not open for further replies.