New Russian Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hello!

I've just adopted my first tortoise, a Russian tortoise.

http://imgur.com/BtSXE1U

I got him from PetCo, and they weren't sure how old he is, but I am going to get him to a vet soon to give him a general check-up, so hopefully we will figure something out.

I just had a few questions to ask:

1. Is it possible to over-feed your tortoise? I've been looking up how much you are supposed to feed them; the general consensus seems to be that you are supposed to feed them about the same size as they are, and just throw out the rest. But I know that they would (in the wild) eat anything that is in front of them, and I don't know if it is possible to over-feed him.

2. Is it normal behavior for them to just sit around and not do much? I know he is probably nervous and a little stressed from being moved and stuff, but I'm just being paranoid ^^

3. If I am feeding him twice a week food sprinkled with calcium and other vitamin supplements, is it necessary to get him cuttlefish and other things like that? I'm just not entirely sure where to get them.

Thank you very much! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure you have a warm enough environment for the tortoise. If he can't warm up to at LEAST 85F degrees he won't eat. Also, I leave the pile of food in the habitat all day and don't toss it until I put more down the following day. Once he gets settled in and realizes he's safe, he'll eat.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I usually feed mine a handful of fresh greens in the morning and let him eat as he pleases. If there is any left over the next morning, I toss it and give him fresh food. He will move around more as he gets comfortable with his new surroundings. Good luck with your new tort. :)

Indiana
I made him a little toy! It's got a bell on the end so it jingles when he bumps into it (I know the don't really have a good sense of hearing but it would be nice for me to know if he's out and about).
At the moment he seems more interested in burrowing, but hopefully he will be a bit more active once he is settled.