New russian tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Hello I'm Ashlie and my Russian tortoises name is "stella" but I just found out it's a male :) after reading some threads I am thinking I should return him to petco? I'm freaked out by all this talk about parasites and stuff. What should I do?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Are you concerned that your Russian has parasites by the way he is acting or just from what you have read? How is his appetite? How long have you had him?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I wouldn't freak out just yet. You can have a fecal done at the vet's that would tell you if he had any. My tortie Lou had them when I got him, I took him in for a fecal and a check up. He took some meds for a few days and all is good. It's always a good idea to wash after handling your tortie, it's the "law" here at my house.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Anytime you get a tortoise from a big chain petstore like petco or petsmart, the tortoise will most likely be a wild caught tortoise and may possibly be infected with parasites, however there is a chance that it's not. The easiest way to find out is to have a vet do a fecal sample.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Havent had him long at all. He hasn't eaten today,But I just got him this morning :) sluggish and has eye bubbles? He seems very scared

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. How is he set up? What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night?

The parasite thing is not usually a big deal. You can give simple oral wormers to take care of it. I'll bet if you talk to the Petco Manager they will even pay for the wormer if your fecal turns up positive. Talk to them first and share your concerns with him/her. They might already have a policy to address your concerns.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, don't give up on him yet.
Describe your set up: size, what it is made of, substrate, lightling, and temperatures on warm and cool side.
Have you soaked him yet in warm water up to his bottom shell? they are often dehydrated at first, you might do it daily for awhile. Hopefully soaking him will help his eyes.
Many torts have some parasites, but these are easily treated after being checked with a fecal sample. This is a common condition.
Usually they are scared at first and hide a lot, and won't eat right away.
Other than soaking him and offering food, don't bother him too much.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I haven't gotten a thermometer yet, the lady said it wasnt too important to know the temperature. He is in a 116quart tub with reptibark substrate a big water bowl he can get into and the lighting is a clamp lamp with a 75 watt bulb

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome Ash, hey just keep in mind, every living creature has a critter or two crawling in them (dogs, cats, birds and even us) so may be okay to relax a bit and enjoy the cool little critter you have....

I am always sad when I walk into petco/petsmart, etc. as most of their tortoise are wild caught...so what you have done in purchase of this little one, in my opinion, is very noble. Some will disagree, you know supply and demand, and while I agree, still a little one is in need once stolen from the wild, and you have saved another :D

Okay so I have to ask...you say that you named your little one "stella"...have you don't the movie thing? " S T E L L A !!!!" because I did the moment I read what you named her/him :)

Just make sure you are VERY patient with the new one...try to put yourself in its place.....so you are walking along enjoying the day, munching or a siesta...and WHAM... some yahoo snatches you up from your home and puts you in a box with about a gazillion other torts of your kind but likely none you know...no food, no water, no resting spot....just shells all around, then you are tossed into a glass aquarium and forced to eat "froot loops" with all kinds of weird humans leering at you, taping on the glass and not realizing it is all a toss of the dice when someone claims you..will they be some yahoo that purchased you for their 3 year old who will have no adult supervision and you are now left to that cute, irresponsible tot or will you be the lucky few that are purchased by someone who is willing to join a site filled with folks that dedicate their time to the care/love/admiration of all chelonian????? hummmm, looks like your little one may have lucked out....or, will you return him cause he may have a but or two?????? Your choice :rolleyes:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ascott said:
Welcome Ash, hey just keep in mind, every living creature has a critter or two crawling in them (dogs, cats, birds and even us) so may be okay to relax a bit and enjoy the cool little critter you have....

I am always sad when I walk into petco/petsmart, etc. as most of their tortoise are wild caught...so what you have done in purchase of this little one, in my opinion, is very noble. Some will disagree, you know supply and demand, and while I agree, still a little one is in need once stolen from the wild, and you have saved another :D

Okay so I have to ask...you say that you named your little one "stella"...have you don't the movie thing? " S T E L L A !!!!" because I did the moment I read what you named her/him :)

Just make sure you are VERY patient with the new one...try to put yourself in its place.....so you are walking along enjoying the day, munching or a siesta...and WHAM... some yahoo snatches you up from your home and puts you in a box with about a gazillion other torts of your kind but likely none you know...no food, no water, no resting spot....just shells all around, then you are tossed into a glass aquarium and forced to eat "froot loops" with all kinds of weird humans leering at you, taping on the glass and not realizing it is all a toss of the dice when someone claims you..will they be some yahoo that purchased you for their 3 year old who will have no adult supervision and you are now left to that cute, irresponsible tot or will you be the lucky few that are purchased by someone who is willing to join a site filled with folks that dedicate their time to the care/love/admiration of all chelonian????? hummmm, looks like your little one may have lucked out....or, will you return him cause he may have a but or two?????? Your choice :rolleyes:

DITTO THAT, and that a good thermometer (digital, like you find at places like Home Depot or Lowes for $10-15) is very important.
You will receive good advice on this forum, far superior to what most pet stores tell you.
Keep asking questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashlie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Russian tortoises are great little tortoises. You're going to enjoy the heck outta' him!

Gizmo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
I recently bought a Russian Tortoise from Petco too, they originally told me it was a female and we named it Daisy, the next day I googled how to identify the sex of a tortoise and realized Daisy was a boy, now his name is Gizmo.

The first day he was terrified, wouldn't eat and would avoid us. Everytime we handled him he pooped like crazy. By day 2 he explored his habitat a little more, wouldnt hide in his shell if there was movement around him, he ate a little bit when we weren't looking. By day 3 my daughter was able to hand feed him. It's only been a week since we've had him and he's a great little guy, he's such a charactor. He eats out of our hands, we can pet him. We take him outside and he just zooms all over the yard, he walks over to us, doesnt mind being pet. Give him some time, you will enjoy him once he comes out of his shell and gets used to his new environment.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
we live in northwest washington :) and thanks for the encouraging words.....he is still hiding and wont come out..i also have a 2 year old but he isnt dtsnding over his cage or anything but maybe the noise could be freaking him out, and yes he poos and pees everywhere when i touch him. he still wont eat......he was the most active in his pen at the store, he was eating so much! i even stuck around for 45 min or so to see how he was. he is heavy and no crusty stuff and has been in his water dish and stuff. i gave him a washing yesterday because he poo'ed everywhere on the wayhome. and yes i washed everything :) his shell looks very dry, should i get some shell moisturizer?

and i named him stella because my friend named her kid stella and i love that name, and i also may have had some influence from a movie lol OH! and my two year old is not a screamer or anything and is never unsupervised :)

photo.JPGphoto2.JPG
this enclosure is temporary, once i got everything in it, i realized how small it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
photo3.JPG

getting a little scrub and a soak :) he wasnt very happy to be dried and poo'ed this crazy stringy poo that was kinda hard...normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

sarahjayne

5 Year Member
Ashliewood said:
Hello I'm Ashlie and my Russian tortoises name is "stella" but I just found out it's a male :) after reading some threads I am thinking I should return him to petco? I'm freaked out by all this talk about parasites and stuff. What should I do?

If you are worried about parasites and things before thinking of taking him back i would take him for a check up at your local vet.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I don't think I will return him, my husband and this forum reassured me :) will probably schedule a check up soon

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm glad you decided to keep him! I'm new to torts too and the members of this forum have given my invaluable advice. It's natural to worry about your tort; I worry... a lot! Just ask Tom & Rob!! ;)

Welcome to the forum!!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like it needed to come out, who knows what he has been trying to munch on. That is why soaking is good, it helps remedy the dehydration most of them come with from pet stores, and make sure things 'move along' in there. Sounds like that is happening! After he soaks you can just put him directly back into his enclosure no need to dry him, and his shell only needs soaking, no products. If you see a tort with a shiny shell, it is wet or has had something unnecessary applied.
They see well, and feel vibration well, so noise isn't too much of an issue. Pounding or jumping next to his enclosure could be.
You are off to a good start. As you work on a larger enclosure, even a 50gal Rubbermaid from Home Depot or Lowes, consider using topsoil alone or mixed with 30% playsand, or Cypress mulch (I really like this), AKA 'Forest bedding'. Hard to get in Washington, but you can start with a pet store, and there are a couple of mail order sites that are not too bad. If you spot clean the poo, you don't have to change the substrate but even twice per year.
By the way, not pretty, but I took 2 50gal rubbermaids and trimmed a bit off the top rim, cut doorways, and used C clamps and duct tape to stick them side by side for a larger enclosure. Old bookcase on its side lined with heavy duty shower curtain works.
Doesn't NEED to eat for several weeks. Just keep offering and try to settle into a routine with soaking and minimal handling.
Eventually outside.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Sooooo... I got mr turtle an extra heat lamp and a thermometer. He is basking at 100 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.