New Russian Tort

poky07

5 Year Member
Today our neighbors who have been wanting to get rid of their tortoise gave him up to me. He lives in an aquarium (which is way to small) and during the ten years they had him he has never had a soak. Today he had his first soak and I'm working on a heat lamp and uvb. Also they say he has never eaten anything other then romaine lettuce and green bell pepper so I have to fix that too. This is my first tortoise and I hope I can give him a happy home.ImageUploadedByTortForum1387846078.665031.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387846092.007752.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387846102.745883.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
hey there ! it sounds like you understand what the previous owner did wrong and that you need to correct it and that's great. this is the perfect place to come to learn how to care for a tortoise :)

you're right, any aquarium is too small for an adult Russian tortoise so that would be the first thing I'd correct. at least 2x6 or as large as you have space for. you can make a plywood box or buy the 2 of the giant rubbermaid tubs and put them together. a basking light/heat source can be an indoor flood light and a fluorescent uvb tube is usually the best way to go for artificial sunlight. your tort doesn't need added night heat and will benefit from a drop to 60°f.

try chopping up the new food and mixing it the old food if he won't eat it. escarole, endive, dandelion, collard, mustard and turnip greens are all easily found at grocery stores and are good choices.

do your research on the Russian tortoise section on this forum for more information
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-81.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there:

Russian tortoises are great little tortoises. You'll get him turned around and up to speed in no time. Also, be thinking about building him a nice, safe outdoor pen for when the weather warms up.

poky07

5 Year Member
Today we got him a heat lamp

Still on the to do list:
Bigger enclosure
Uvb
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387927119.811780.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
that clamps that the light is attached to fail really often. it's a big fire hazard the way you have it. it's best to have it sitting on a screened top or possibly hanging from the ceiling with small link chain.

poky07

5 Year Member
Currently my dad is working on a safer way to keep the lamp up. Also today he ate his first piece of spinach with his romaine lettuce.

bigsteaks

5 Year Member
Deptford NJ
Our three russians love the following greens
1. broccoli rabe with florets attached
2. kale
3. dandelion flowers tops
4. mustard greens
5. parsley and cilantro leaves

you will love having this guy!!!!!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Spinach should only be fed only once every couple of months. Other greens are better for your tort. Also add radicchio and cactus to your list of good foods.

Variety is the key. For your torts favorite foods rotate them over several weeks and add in others as available.

Good luck.