New Russian Tort

GeorgeFrancis

Hello all. I'm a new, 12 year old tort owner and this website has really helped me start my journey. We'll get a better habitat along the way but currently I have a 40 gallon tank and mulch for bedding. Should I get a bigger tank and how big? In the meantime my tort has been digging at the side of the tank. Should I put up black construction paper so that he won't be confused? Thanks

-XanderImageUploadedByTortForum1387673987.936715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Xander, and welcome to the Forum!

No, he's digging for two reasons...before they can settle down and go to sleep, they have to "rearrange" their burrow, hence all the digging in the corner. The other reason might be because the bin is too small and he's trying to escape.

Russian tortoises require quite a bit of moving around space. Be thinking about making an outdoor habitat for when the weather gets better.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Yes, put brown or black paper around the base of the tank.
What kind of mulch do you have? I would guess you have a bulb for light-UV and heat on one side? Make sure you are not using a coil bulb.

Give him a soak in shallow warm water daily for a week then 1-2x per week, and make sure he has access to water.

When you can work on a new enclosure, consider using an overturned bookcase with the shelves removed. Aim for a 'tortoise table' of at least 4'x2', but even bigger is better. 6x2'?

The best is outside; they love it. Even if it is for just a few months per year.

Welcome!