New Redfoot owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuseme

5 Year Member
Hi! First time tortoise owner, just got a 4 in. Redfoot today. I am looking to learn all I can about keeping him (her?) happy and healthy.

I was very glad to find this forum.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Congrats, redfoots are the best.

I second that request for pictures. And, where'd ya get the little guy?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Was it a gift to yourself? Welcome to the forum.You will find a lot of us in here have redfoots. They can be very super tortoises to have.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Welcome! I started a site- incomplete so far, but hopefully helpful- you can try- http://www.tortoiselibrary.com or click on the link in my sig below.

It has articles about Red-foots in general and their natural history, diet ideas, housing ideas, about Cherry-heads, and tons of links to other great sites and stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Scuseme:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you're from?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum.Lots of experienced redfoot keepers here.

scuseme

5 Year Member
Hello, everyone and thanks for the welcome!

My name is Leigh and I live near San Francisco.

We got the tortoise for my son as a Christmas present. Nicky (my son) named him Freckles because he has "polka dots on his legs."
LOL

We got him from PetCo. I underestimated his size I think he's more like 5 1/2 inches. Any idea how old he is based on his size? I am pretty sure he's a male. His plastron is slightly convex and he appears to have a little bit of a "waist."

He seems to be in pretty good health. He is VERY alert and pretty active, although I think he's still adjusting to his new environment and is a little weirded out. I think he has a little bit of pyramiding, but it doesn't seem too bad. From what I've read, I guess it's pretty typical for a pet store tortoise. Well, nothing but the best food and care for him from now on!

I am not sure how to post a photo. I will as soon as I figure it out.

Ok, trying to post a pic as an attachment.

This is Freckles!

Attachments

• Freckles.jpg
    Freckles.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 44

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Leigh :)
Congrats on the new addition! There are a lot of Rf owners on this forum, I am sure you will get all the help you need and more :D

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome!

Its tough to guess the age on torts, it depends on so many factors that are unknown at this point regarding prior care.

I'll suggest a good look over of the plastron. Many redfoots come from the store with some shell rot. Its not the end of the world, but should get some attention. If you find soft, whitish patches that scrape off with a fingernail, that's what I'm talking about.

Keep freckle's warm and humid and you have a friend for life.

scuseme

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Welcome Leigh. Is that a Cherry Head?

I believe he is a Cherry Head, but I got him a PetCo and they said he was a Redfoot. I think he's actually a Cherry Head Redfoot, and they were mistaken. I think I got lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.