New Redfoot - I'm a Sucker.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So folks, I've caught the tortoise bug and since I have the space and I am a sucker for any creature with a sob story I brought home my 2nd redfoot in under two weeks.

It all started with me looking to get a 2nd hand redfoot that maybe hadn't had the best start in life. I have a ton of reptile and veterinary medical experience and I am financially and emotionally prepared for a problem tort since that seems to be what romps around on craigslist and other rescue boards.

I had a sad little Russian all lined up who was a class pet and no one knew anything about him or his care and it fell through because he went to a student. Then I caught wind of another tortoise who had been bounced around from home to home named Vern and he fell through because someone else was willing to drive from the next state over to pick him up ASAP.

I was getting frustrated and wasn't sure I would ever find the right fit and then I met Ruby. She's young and healthy and spunky. She is so alert and friendly. I am in LOVE. She's just over a year old and is only 3-1/2 inches long.

Fast forward about 10 days. I get another email from the gal with Vern. Apparently his other two suitors fell through and they are getting desperate to find him a home before she leaves for school. She sent over a photo and my sucker sign started flashing and I agreed to go meet him. Just to see.

He is SO FRIENDLY! Because Ruby is so small and healthy I justified bringing home this poor dried out tortoise that nobody wants. He's got some pyramiding and was being kept in a dry 40g tank for years when the weather here in Oregon wasn't suitable for romping around outside (not any more my friend, you just hit the tortoise jackpot!).

Needless to say he's in a bit rougher shape than little Ruby so we're going to be off to the vet this week for a preliminary visit and to check out a sore on his neck. Apparently he stuck his head through a fence and it didn't come back out as smoothly as he expected. I've flushed the wound and hit it with some nolvasan. Question: Should I put triple antibiotic ointment (without painkiller of course) on it until we see the vet? (See pics) I've seen far worse wounds on reptiles and treated them at home, but I just have to ask.

Also, apparently he grew up on a high protein diet with very little humidity. Aside from providing proper diet & supplementation, unfiltered UVB access, good humidity and lots of soaks is there anything EXTRA that I should be doing?
One LAST THING: Has anyone ever seen a damaged plastron like this? (See pics again) The lady who has had him for a couple of years doesn't know what its from and she kind of seemed like she had never noticed it.

Thank you all in advance! Enjoy the attached photos as a sign of gratitude for reading this far!

p1286354225-4.jpg

I am Vern and I realize my shell is a mess.
p1286354423-5.jpg

Also I stick my head through holes in the fence and panic when it doesn't come back out.

p1286354127-4.jpg

Here is my funny looking scute.
p1286354701-4.jpg

So long as the head and neck rubs continue I think I'm going to like it here...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome new Redfoot, Ruby!
I also have a female named Ruby.
Ruby looks healthy enough and so many "rescues" have pyramiding that It seems just normal.
It's all in the personality anyway.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Wow....good rescue. I love redfoots too and he is beautiful. All he needs is love and to be cared for the right way. Thank god he has you. I'm not sure about what to put on his cut/sore. Someone with more experience will guide you that way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm always an advocate for dollar store athletes foot cream and dollar store general antibiotic. Same active ingredients and ANYONE can afford to put these in their tortoise first aid kit!
A dab of antibiotic ointment and watch it for a few days and make sure that it gets better....Not worse.
These little nicks and scrapes almost always get better quickly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen strange growth like that on plastrons before. I don't know what causes it, but it's not harmful to the tortoise.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Welcome new Redfoot, Ruby!
I also have a female named Ruby.
Ruby looks healthy enough and so many "rescues" have pyramiding that It seems just normal.
It's all in the personality anyway.

Actually THIS is Ruby - That handsome fella is Vern. (Apparently Mazuri pellets are best after they have been thoroughly trampled)
p1286354645-4.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thank you guys for the input so far! You are confirming things that I already suspected, like the fact that my best approach is just good husbandry from here on out and that that little cut is probably just a little cut and that he should be fine so long as it is monitored.

Both Vern and Ruby are so incredibly friendly and outgoing. We lucked out on the fact that we have well socialized critters, even if Vern may be a bit battle scarred. They have so much personality!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Personality is key!
I have four and they are are worlds different in their actions, etc.
One, my big male, thinks he's a dog. (A lap dog, no less!) My smallest likes to bully everyone around and even nips at my feet if I dare to intrude on her turf..

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Personality is key!
I have four and they are are worlds different in their actions, etc.
One, my big male, thinks he's a dog. (A lap dog, no less!) My smallest likes to bully everyone around and even nips at my feet if I dare to intrude on her turf..
I think Vern is going to be the lap dog - it's been too hot for him to be outside today since his forever home is still under construction and despite being set up with a nice cool box in the corner with mulch and food and water and a hide he has preferred to be on my feet under my desk while I work.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Love the pics, great looking torts !!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Love the pics, great looking torts !!!

Thanks! I am brand SPANKIN' new to torts so expect to see me around a lot. *I always pay for good info in the form of cute photos.

6.28 Vern-5470.jpg

mike thornton

Kauai
Awesome rescue my tort loves scratches too and is big on crawling all over myself and my kids it's makes for such a fun jungle gym enjoy

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Awesome rescue my tort loves scratches too and is big on crawling all over myself and my kids it's makes for such a fun jungle gym enjoy

Every time someone tells me how cold and uninteresting and impersonal a reptile is I want to throw my pets at them. He's really a sweet dude.
p1286354497-4.jpg