new owner of cherry head red foot hatchling

Diann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cutler Bay Florida
Hello all. I have been reading so much on red foot tortoise that I am confusing myself. I have a question about the lighting. I currently use UVB/heat during the day (approx. 30 inches from top of turtle table) and CHE for the evening. the indoor enclosure is 80 under the light during the day and closer to 90 evenings (with the CHE), along with 60-80 humidity. my Margaret is approx. 4 months old. the lighting seems so harsh and bright. I was using a tropical UVA/UVB lower intensity bulb (13 watt), but from all I've read, it wasn't enough. She spends most of her time in her hide in the cooler part of the enclosure. I have a hide in the warmer part but she shows no interest. do I need to correct the lighting?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Diann and welcome to the Forum! You say your UVB/heat (I'm assuming a mercury vapor bulb???) is 30" above the table. That's awfully darned high. It must be a pretty big wattage bulb to provide 80F directly under the light at 30" But at that height I doubt it's providing the tortoise with very much UVB. So, yes, I think you do need to correct the lighting. Let us see a picture of the bulb then we can give you better advice, but in the meantime, you can add a bunch of plants around inside the enclosure to offer shade and relief from the harsh light.

Diann

5 Year Member
Cutler Bay Florida
Hi Diann and welcome to the Forum! You say your UVB/heat (I'm assuming a mercury vapor bulb???) is 30" above the table. That's awfully darned high. It must be a pretty big wattage bulb to provide 80F directly under the light at 30" But at that height I doubt it's providing the tortoise with very much UVB. So, yes, I think you do need to correct the lighting. Let us see a picture of the bulb then we can give you better advice, but in the meantime, you can add a bunch of plants around inside the enclosure to offer shade and relief from the harsh light.
Yes, it is a 100W mercury vapor flood lamp (Flukers sun spot brand). I have also added shade screen on half of the enclosure that received the full light. Her water and food dish (terracotta plant saucers) receive full light. I will look for plastic plants to add. Since she is so young (she is 2 1/2 inches), I was told to keep her indoors for the first year. I plan on moving her to an outdoor enclosure when she is bigger. I am also working on uploading pictures as I am so not computer literate. thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Flukers Sun Spot isn't a UVB light. All that it is providing is heat. Your enclosure should be about 80-85F degrees all over the whole habitat. It's ok for it to be about 100F directly under the light.

Diann

5 Year Member
Cutler Bay Florida
Flukers Sun Spot isn't a UVB light. All that it is providing is heat. Your enclosure should be about 80-85F degrees all over the whole habitat. It's ok for it to be about 100F directly under the light.
The Flukers package says it is heat and UVB in one bulb. if this is not so, what bulb should I get? I also have a UVB150 bulb and a UVB/UVA low intensity bulb but both of them are spiral. Is it better to have a separate UVB bulb and heat bulb or use the heat and UVB in one bulb?
If i keep the 100W bulb, if I lower the light and add plants it will be more habitable for her?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Diann, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Flukers do some bulbs that give off UVA but not the needed UVB.
But if yours is definitely UVB it should be okay.
Don't use the coil bulbs.
Use an MVB (which is all in one)or a strip UVB light with a separate heat source .
Raising or lowering bulbs to achieve the right heat is fine as long as you are within the recommended safe distance.
Plants are good.
I use spider plants myself, but make sure they're safe as many garden centre plants are chemically treated.

Redfoot mom

Redfoot get most of their vitamin d from diet not uv light like other tortoises. I use one but I wouldn't worry about it too much.