New outdoor enclosure - lots of pics!

Jazzbell772

Finally finished building the new outside enclosure. This is for one tiny dalmatian hermann's tortoise. I'm still waiting on the seeds from tortoise supply so that I can start growing all of her greens. For now she will still live indoors but will get daily playtime in her outdoor enclosure as long as the temps are high enough.

okay just getting the hang of putting pics on here. bare with me...

here's the rest of them

Attachments

• IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 146

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm a little concerned about using screen material for the covers. We've always said that a small mesh screen doesn't allow the UVB rays through. It might be a good idea for you to buy a UV meter and check it out inside with the tops closed.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yvonne G said:
I'm a little concerned about using screen material for the covers. We've always said that a small mesh screen doesn't allow the UVB rays through. It might be a good idea for you to buy a UV meter and check it out inside with the tops closed.

I think that should be OK, It looks like that is 1/2 inch space wire screen. unless that is less then that.

I use 1/2 space wire screen for my Hermann outdoor enclosure and have no problem with the UVB going through. I do have a Solarmeter 62.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I think it looks great! As long as you made provisions for potential torrential rain it should be awesome. Especially being along side a roof like that. Even with gutters water can roll/splash off the roof into the enclosure causing a quick build up of water. Every time I think I've drilled enough rain drainage holes I end up drilling double what I initially thought would be enough. Best of luck to you!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks fantastic. Curious about your drainage too, but it really looks very well thought out!

Even a protected spot for a basking light on cooler days.

Well done.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Looks very nice, you planned your enclosure really well!:tort::tort: Your Dalmatian hermann's Tort will love her living large new digs.:p

Jazzbell772

Thanks everyone! I don't think the mesh will be a problem either, its rather small and that area gets a lot of sunlight. The box does drain really well. We don't have actual drains, but we made sure that the sides aren't so fused together. We tested it out and the water flows very nicely out of it. We live in Louisiana so we are no strangers to torrential downpours. More than likely, she will be indoors on those crazy rainy days and especially for hurricanes. I haven't made a spot for her yet so that she could keep dry if she were in there when it started to rain. Do the tortoises usually head for shelter, or do they stay burrowed in the dirt? I'm still waiting on my seeds to come in so I can start planting some green for her to eat and hide in, but not sure what other things I should add in there.

kmartin

central Florida
My Hermann enjoys light rains here in Florida, but he hates downpours and will find someplace to hide. Sometimes it is his favorite plant or in his 'doghouse'! For him it seems to depend entirely on his mood.