new member with a Russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

duchesschama

5 Year Member
Hi--
Just found this forum and have a few questions. I have a 5 y/o Russian tort and have been using "Aspen Supreme" (brand name) pellets for substrate with no problems except that it is VERY expensive. Is it o.k. to use aspen shavings that I can get from a feed store much cheaper. My current bedding is $14 for a 905 inchs cf. bag and the aspen shavings or chips at the feed store are $10.95 for 2.5 cubic feet bag.
Also, what is best to use to keep her beak from getting any bigger. I put cuttle bone in her cage but she pays no attention to it.

Thanks for any input.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Duchesschama:

Welcome to the forum!!

There are plenty of other choices for bedding. I personally like cypress mulch, but you can use coconut coir, clean dirt from the garden, topsoil, orchid bark. Just don't use any of the beddings made from aromatic oil type woods like pine or cedar, and don't use the calci-sand either.

Feeding the tortoise on a rough surface like a chunk of cement or a piece of granite will help to keep the beak trimmed. But the way they keep them trimmed in the wild is by having to bite off their food. Are you cutting the food up too small? Make him work for it. Also, some outside time greatly benefits Russian tortoises.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome I have 3 russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.