New member seeking advice for sick cdt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfister

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for any advice you can offer. I have a 50 yr old cdt in LA that has upper respiratory illness. Two yrs ago my tortoise moved from the Bay Area to a less warm climate in LA and I think this has made him sick. My new vet just put him on ceftazidine after baytril not working. The vet also said to keep him indoors at 90 degrees. I'm looking for substrate recommendations for indoors, and any other advice. Thanks very much.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Your cdt is going to want to burrow so i would have a pretty deep substrate of 50/50 coir and an organic topsoil. I have used this type for years for my indoor housing and really like it. I hope the tort gets back on track soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pfister, and welcome to the Forum!!

Since your CDT is an older, full grown tortoise, it would be impossible to give him a deep enough substrate for burrowing, so a nice, well-fit tunnel will have to suffice. I was lucky enough to find some very large PVC pieces that were tossed in a dumpster. They're about a foot across. I cut them in half length wise and they make a great tunnel.

I prefer orchid bark, but sometimes have to revert to cypress mulch.

Try to find the largest container you possibly can. If they're selling the Christmas Tree Storage bins yet, that would be a good size. They're made by Iris. If you can't find it at Wal-Mart or K-Mart, then you can probably get it online.

Since your vet wants you to keep the tortoise at 90F then be sure to soak him every day in warm water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also agree to get him as large of an indoor enclosure as possible....I would offer some dirt and peat moss mixed in with the cypress as Yvonne suggested and also do the daily warm water soaks...the meds can be hard on their kidneys and so the soaks as Yvonne said are essential....50 huh, way cool...I would love to see a pic of him--I bet he is absolutely handsome ;)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear that your tort is sick. I know you'll do all you can to make your tort comfortable. I can't imagine how you would put a 50 lbs tort inside your house; but, if you have extra room inside, that would be best. If not, get him well first before putting him outside again.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome hope your tort gets well soon

Status
Not open for further replies.