New member with a shipping question...

Mr.Martini

Hello All - recently moved from NY to LA. Wanted to ship my 2 smallish tortoises (Hermans and Starred) to myself - any tips on how to do it? Does Fedex ship live animals? They were both CB and have had for over ten years, but will it be an issue sending them to California? (I couldn't even bring my houseplants there!) many thanks - mark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark:

Welcome to the Forum!

Will there be someone on the 'receiving' end to accept the parcel? If yes, then you can ship them overnight either Fedex, UPS or one of the reptile shipping companies. The only one I can think of right off hand is Ship Your reptiles. We have a good tutorial here on the forum on how to package them:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-safely-ship-a-tortoise-or-turtle.1379/

The only requirement on shipping tortoise across state lines is if they are African species they'll need a vet certificate saying they are free of ticks.

Mr.Martini

thank you Yvonne! since it's two tortoises - each about 5 inches, could they go in the same box? Hermans is mediterranean and the Starred is from India so guess I don't need to go the vet route. thank you again for your quick response!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's been a while since I read the thread I linked for you, but I usually package the tortoises in different containers inside the same box. For instance, if the tortoises are too big for a plastic sandwich container, I'll put each one in a tube sock, then nestle them into the packing peanuts in a bigger box to hold the two of them. So, small plastic containers with holes punched in the sides, or tube sox or pillow cases tied with a knot. Anything that keeps them separate from each other and keeps their little toenails contained so they can't scratch their way out of the bigger box.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Do we get Picts of your 2x torts and their enclosures . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum