New member, new tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sometimes new people here feel like we are being mean and telling them they did everything wrong. Our intentions are only to try to help fix any potential problems we see. I'm always glad to see when somebody can see our "help" for what it really is and for how it is intended.

It looks and sounds to me like you've got a pretty good understanding about most of what is going on. Thanks for being receptive to our tips.

Along those lines, I thought I'd mention your clamp lamp… As Joes Mum mentioned, those clamps can't be trusted. Its just a question of time until they fail. In addition, the type you have there with the plastic base is not suitable for use for our purposes. The plastic doesn't hold up to a hot lamp all day long. You need a ceramic based fixture. Like this one for example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300-Watt-Incandescent-Brooder-Clamp-Light-HD-303PDQ/204684496
You still need to hang it from over head, and you can remove the little guard wires, but that type of base will hold up much better and be safer in the long run.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
That tortoise IS almost maximum size. Very little more growth will occur. Not every female gets as big as 6 or 7 inches, and most males stay right about 5 inches.

Here's a Greek:

greek-tortoise2.jpg

and here's a Russian:

Russian11.jpg

They're quite similar. :rolleyes: