New Member and New Golden Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrophet

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I'm a new member on the forum and just purchased a juv. 4mo Golden Greek. I thought I had my setup figured out, however I'm not happy with the temperatures I'm getting.

Setup:
Extra Large Wooden Tortoise house
Sun Seed Sweet grass
Desert Blend Bedding - Walnut shells
etc...

Lighting:
Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking Lamp 50w

Exo-Terra Heat Glo Infrared Heat Lamp 50w

R-Zilla Mini Reptile Fixture

I'm not getting much heat out of the setup, about 82 degrees under the infrared.

I decided to purchase this today just in case:
deep dome, stand and Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts

Please let me know your thoughts, I'm really worried about proper lighting.

Thanks

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know anything about Golden Greek's so I can't help, just want to say hello and welcome to the forum...

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
Yea I would say you simply need more wattage. Especially if it's an open-air enclosure (which it should be, and it sounds like it is). That mercury vapor bulb should do the trick. He'll appreciate the extra UVB also.

I'm not too sure about your substrate though... anything with walnut shells probably isn't the best, but I don't know what all is in it. For a hatchling you want something that will hold decent humidity. I use a 50/50 mix of eco-earth (compressed coconut husk) and gardening soil for my 4 month old golden.

Acrophet

5 Year Member
The Adjustor said:
Yea I would say you simply need more wattage. Especially if it's an open-air enclosure (which it should be, and it sounds like it is). That mercury vapor bulb should do the trick. He'll appreciate the extra UVB also.

I'm not too sure about your substrate though... anything with walnut shells probably isn't the best, but I don't know what all is in it. For a hatchling you want something that will hold decent humidity. I use a 50/50 mix of eco-earth (compressed coconut husk) and gardening soil for my 4 month old golden.

So this stuff?
Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Substrate, 3 Bricks
and something like this?
Scotts Seed Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Soil

Thanks

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum!!

You absolutly need more wattage. I use a 160w Zoo Med Mercury Vapor Bulb in the Zoo Med Deep Dome Ceramic lamp with the Zoo Med Lamp Stand. It works great!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Acrophet:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Acrophet

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Acrophet:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Thank you and sure! My name is Andy, and the tortoise was purchased for my 10 year old daughter who wanted this more then anything else. We currently reside in the suburbs near Milwaukee, WI.

Status
Not open for further replies.