New Leopard Tortoise baby~sub species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
oogway.JPG Hi this is my new Leopard Tortoise baby. I was wondering what sub-species and any other information that would let me know more about him/her. age 3 months & 2 1/4"

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babcocki . Check out the threads below in my post. All of them are great for raising a leopard.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, babcocki. But as Will pointed out, officially there are no sub species recognized in leopard tortoises.

I think it's more correct to ask if your leopard is a South African leopard or not.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365648333.804372.jpgBenny continues to stump me. Any thoughts on sub species? ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365648398.634038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Could it be possible he's cross bred? He has a double spot at the front and very wide spots on some other areas of his shell.
He's very friendly and loves to explore even at only a year old

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Definitetely not South African. You will never know if there is a little mix in there. Just call him a babcocki.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Both of these little leopards are darling! All leopards are like little unexpected works of art the way they change as they grow. Love. I love that little mouth wide open, eating right away after you got him/her. A very good thing! Congrats on your new little! : )

And the little mix-maybe is darling, too. I have read that it is hard to say but that perhaps many leopards could have a mix of both pardalis and babcocki in them to some degree. More babcocki in the states however. One observation. The substrate looks like it might be rough to walk on. Have you considered coco coir? I love the stuff and it really keeps the humidity up which is helpful to prevent pyramiding. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.