• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    870.1 KB · Views: 6

Ian555

Could really do with knowing there sex
Lyn them tail pics i aent got a clue lol
Any ideas anyone

Ian555

Thanks Tom / Yvonne I really do not have the option to keep lndoors I have a large shed for them and I will do whatever I can to get it right
I have to get them where they are staying now to offer better quality of life / diet
any idea of there sex

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sometimes the weather here in the winter goes for days at a time in the 40's (F), with overcast skies and no sun. The leopard tortoises still leave the shed and graze on the grass. They aren't too smart about going back inside when they get cold, so I have to keep my eye on them and put them back in after they've grazed for an hour or so.

I think your shed and garden will work out ok for your tortoises. Just insulate the walls and ceiling and provide heat and light inside. Keep them closed inside, and let them out on days that get around 50F or above. If the sun is shining, they'll get warm from it.

The larger, smooth female looks female, the smooth, larger male looks male, but the small male looks female to me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sometimes the weather here in the winter goes for days at a time in the 40's (F), with overcast skies and no sun. The leopard tortoises still leave the shed and graze on the grass. They aren't too smart about going back inside when they get cold, so I have to keep my eye on them and put them back in after they've grazed for an hour or so.

I think your shed and garden will work out ok for your tortoises. Just insulate the walls and ceiling and provide heat and light inside. Keep them closed inside, and let them out on days that get around 50F or above. If the sun is shining, they'll get warm from it.

The larger, smooth female looks female, the smooth, larger male looks male, but the small male looks female to me.
Here we have long spells of temps struggling between 20 and 30'F and/or very damp, so I err on the side of caution with mine.

Ian555

that's ok then better get the shed ready for them

the lights in the viv wont be strong enough any suggestions

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hanging MVBs and CHEs ?
Oil filled radiators or radiant heat panels as in Tom's night box?
The pig blankets Yvonne mentioned are Kane heated mats, and the only place I've found them available in UK is from Phillips in Horncastle in Lincs, (maybe Amazon may sell them) They are quite expensive but out in the shed in our cold damp winters I would say they would be good to have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few folks here don't advocate the red bulbs, but I use this:

Little%20Giant%20Box.jpg

Some tortoises look at their substrate differently under a red light, but I only use it at night, and the tortoises are sleeping at night, so I've never had any problems with them eating the substrate because of the red light. I have the light hanging from the ceiling down about 4' above the floor, and the 250 watts heats up the air inside the 10'x10'x8' shed quite nicely.

If your tortoises are to be locked up inside the shed for a long period of time, you might consider a Mercury Vapor Bulb for daytime:

51kQTK3zMnL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

Both of these need to be mounted in a fixture that has a ceramic base, not the ones with the Bakelite base:

x354-q80.jpg

...and I prefer the fixtures with a larger bell, 10 or 12 inches. I don't use the clamp, I remove it and hang the light.

Ian555

Struggling with this now loads to take in
Ill get them out of there change there diet give them freedom may have to use the vivs for a bit till the sheds ready
Still not to sure how to set up and what to build ??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Struggling with this now loads to take in
Ill get them out of there change there diet give them freedom may have to use the vivs for a bit till the sheds ready
Still not to sure how to set up and what to build ??
If you are going to use the shed I would start by insulating it all - floors, wall and roof and draught proof the door. Line with insulation boards and board over. Check it is water and rat proof and have electricity available out there, and make sure you have all the heat and uvb sources ready for them - even our summers can be too cold and damp for these tropical torts, so they will need it heated asap. Line the floor with something waterproof e.g rubber, vinyl flooring or thick plastic etc before covering with substrate to avoid rot. Maybe add a lower false insulated ceiling to keep the heat stop from rising too high.
It is going to involve some cost but once you have everything in place it gets easier.
Just to give you an idea of what the elec equipment cost me - I buy 150w Arcadia MVBs from Pets at Home approx. (£42) The wide dome holders are £25 each in The Range I use 2 . The CHE I use which just gives heat for night use as torts need darkness to sleep was About £21 and the thermostat was £35 also in The Range. You may get cheaper via Amazon but avoid coil bulbs.. My tort also has a radiator in his room which is on 24/7 almost every day, you could use the oil filled rads to help the ambient temp of your shed.
Don't let all this put you off - this is the initial outlay and once everything is bought you just have to replace bulbs now and then. Those torts will certainly have a better life with you.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I completely agree with lyn though I don't keep leopards I have two male Russians and I couldn't imagine them together let alone a poor female in the mix. there are tons of ideas for enclosures on this forum but just consider if you take on three that means three of everything (at least from my experience) which can be a lot to manage. have you considered starting with the basic 50gal Rubbermaid (maybe a couple together per tortoise I'm not sure the sizing on leopards) with a hide appropriate lighting and substrate? maybe a couple fake plants to start off and do some more research for your outdoor enclosure? you have a nice space. just consider they need a lot of space each.

I could be totally off as my experience is with Russians just some ideas

Ian555

Thanks all ill get it sorted after my holls i can keep in vivs for acweek or 2 till all sorted
Not to bothered about cost as have a bit put aside for them
Any one got any ideas of sex of these 3 ???

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Ian I think the large male could be female as the tail looks shorter and fatter than my male's, but the other two could be right.
Others are far better than me at sexing torts - 8 out of 10 times I'm wrong. Sorry I can't be more decisive!

Ian555

Thanks lyn lets see if your correct and if we get anymore replies
Cheers

Ian555

I reckon then breathable membrane staples to inside walls of the shed then 50 mm insulation panels then plastic membrane then board over
If i board over the floor with marine ply then tile over the ply then substrate be easy to clean wont rot the floor has any one else tiled the floor ??