New-ish Pet Owner, Please Help Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid Pet Owner

5 Year Member
So, I have this new Red Foot Tortoise named Henry (I'm pretty sure he is a boy). I bought him June 10th, last year, and he was about 6 months when I bought him. So by now he is about a year old. I got a basic amount of information and added in knowledge form past reptile pets, from snakes to a cameleon. But I feel I still don't know enough to properly care for my little friend. My biggest fear is his diet. What are the proper foods and amount? Also, if there are any major facts to know, please explain them to me. Thanks for taking time to read and help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about redfoots but I am sure someone will come along soon. Could you give some detail on your husbandry now. Lighting, temps, substrate, enclosure size, if you are soaking, what kind of lighting etc. The more the details the better they can help
And WELCOME:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It would be difficult to tell you everything you need to know in a forum answer like this, but we can point you to some good resources, and help answer questions you may have.

Understand that there is not ONE PERFECT way to raise a red-footed tortoise- or a cat, hamster, or betta fish. I've got a website going that I hope is helpful (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com ) but since I know it cannot cover everything or help everybody, I have also tried to link to other sites I think will help.

One important thing to keep in mind as you read care articles, is where you live. The issues and challenges someone in southern Florida does would be very different than those faced by someone from Arizona, or Minnesota, etc. Someone with a huge back yard has different challenges and opportunities than someone in an apartment. Even the kinds of food and stores you have access to change your situation.

As for diet- the Library has several articles that may get you started and several great links!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paranoid Pet Owner:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.