New Horsefield Tortoise not eating..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,
We got our new Horsefield Tortoise ( 18mth old) on Wednesday, Since then he has not eaten, just hid in his hide , I have taken him out twice and dipped him in the water, and left him on the basking stone, but minutes later, he just wanders back to the hide and buries himself under the straw. Would he be eating the straw? I don't want to stress him but concerns are raising after nearly 3 days wth no food Any advice greatly appreciated. PS i Have put photos in the introdction section of his enlosure and hide.
Thanks

Minority1

5 Year Member
Your tortoise needs time to get used to his new home. (The castle~)

Just do the norm; leave food out for a bit, bath it daily 10-15mins until you see it start eating. Hold it every day for 20mins and it'll slowly get used to you. This happens to all tortoises when they get relocated, some get acclimated quicker than others. Be patient.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Minority1 said:
Your tortoise needs time to get used to his new home. (The castle~)

Just do the norm; leave food out for a bit, bath it daily 10-15mins until you see it start eating. Hold it every day for 20mins and it'll slowly get used to you. This happens to all tortoises when they get relocated, some get acclimated quicker than others. Be patient.

Thanks for the info, he has been a bit better today, actually eat some cabbage! He does jump a bit when I lift him up, like a scare mechanism? Seems happy enough , didnt stay in the water for long though, got out, and crept back to his hide!!

Minority1

5 Year Member
I'm not a fan of water dishes so I don't keep them in my enclosures. (personal opinion*)

hatchlings are gonna be scared for awhile, they're just like that. Typical prey behavior. The hatchling I have now is about half a year old and it still gets a bit scared when I reach for it. It likes head rubs only when I'm holding him.

I Love Dino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado
Hi! he might not at because of his nw home,or he might not eat beacse your enclosure might be alittle too cold. Give it some more time and leave alittle food out. If not replace your basking light.
Hope it helped!Good luck!

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I am glad you got your tort to eat but make sure that you don't feed him cabbege to often.

Status
Not open for further replies.