New Hermanns Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
New Tortoise Owner.. Questions!!

After much, much reading I purchased a Hermann's Tortoise.

I have a ZooMed tortoise house, jungle mix substrate w/ sphagnum on top for hiding spots, about 1" in the main compartment and 2" in the hide box. Zoomed MVB bulb also.

I have been soaking Mr. Tibbs daily, he just started eating last night when we got him in the tortoise house. I read dehydration is easy for the hatchlings, I think he is about 14 weeks old.

Will he become more active? Right now, he likes to burrow. He's still breathing heavy when I am around. I understand he is scared. Every morning I dig him up and put him under the uvb bulb, this morning he stayed a bit off to the side in the sphagnum. Getting him to eat is hard too! I am feeding kale, spinach and tortoise food with the majority of it greens. Should I just leave food in the dish until he starts eating regularly?

I'm new to tortoises, I want Mr. Tibbs to feel a bit more at home!

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Hey Guys, got a new 16 week old Hermanns.

I think it's scared, its breathing heavily whenever I am near it. It's not eating well, It took a few nibbles of some kale and tortoise pellets.

I have been soaking it daily to prevent dehydration. It likes to burrow, I have 1" of substrate in the main compartment and 2" in the hide house (Zoomed Tortoise House).

Is this behavior normal for a new hatchling? I put it out under the MVB in the mornings. Going to pick up a spray bottle so I can mist the substrate in the mornings.

I want Mr. Tibbs to feel at home! i have had him for 2 days now. I know it needs time to adjust. But I am worried about the eating part, since I heard they love to eat! Should I just leave food in the dish for the time being?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi pan1k:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, so I'll defer to someone who knows more about them for answers to your questions.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Kelly_H

5 Year Member
Leicestershire, UK
You may find that he's still settling into his new environment.... some simply don't like change. You need to ensure that your temperatures are spot on in order for him to start eating. You need an ambient temperature of 20oc and your basking area should be at about 32-340c so that he can reach his optimum temperature to stimulate appetite.

Personally I would steer clear of the kale and spinach and stick to a high fibre low protein weed diet. The tortoise Trust has some excellent advice on feeding and care of Hermanns tortoises:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I'm in SoCal, Los Angeles area. I will steer clear of the kale. I am looking for a place to get dandelion greens, and I started a flower tray outside full of wildflowers. I checked the temps and it is 32. I put Mr. Tibbs under the UVB bulb every morning, today I saw him just enjoying the warmth. I can't seem to get him to defecate while soaking, he just breathes hard and slowly pokes his head out of the shell. Is there a magic temperature range for the soaking water?

-Chris

Kelly_H

5 Year Member
Leicestershire, UK
I find that bathing my hermanns every morning in warm water usually does the trick.... not too cold, not too hot.... baby bath temperature. Be wary of doing it too warm if they have only just woken up though.... give them 30 minutes or so to raise their body temperatures after sleeping.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Cool, thanks for the info. Mr. Tibbs has been eating more. I found some organic grape leaves for him to munch on. I also have been sprinkling repcal on them. How much should I feed him? I got the basking area to about 31c, he doesnt seem as scared. My wildflowers are starting to sprout!! His poop was brown, and I don't see the urates when I soak, so I guess Mr. Tibbs is either shy or not dehydrated! :D

Kelly_H

5 Year Member
Leicestershire, UK
Try not to overfeed as you will cause accelerated growth and pyramiding. Aim for a nice even, smooth growth by feeding an amount that would cover the size of your tortoises shell. Most people make the mistake of overfeeding. Given half the chance they would eat all day when kept in a warm environment indoors!!

Tortoises usually pass their urates 2 or 3 times a week. When he does, make sure that they're nice and smooth, like toothpaste. This will indicate that your tortoise is well hydrated. If it's gritty, bathe him more and offer fresh water daily until it rectifies itself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.