new green tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hari2m

5 Year Member
hi! by going through this forum, i was intrested in buying a green tortoise. can somebody help me in identifying a helthy, female tortoise in a aquarium shop?

thanx in advance

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I feel you might be confused again. I do not remember any Tortoises that are green. I know of of few turtles that are green. I attached a picture of a Red eared Slider.

Attachments

• sliderbabay.jpg
    sliderbabay.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 33

hari2m

5 Year Member
fbsmith3 said:
I feel you might be confused again. I do not remember any Tortoises that are green. I know of of few turtles that are green. I attached a picture of a Red eared Slider.

Ya that's it, i placed it in a bowl, with a stone in it so that it can come out and stand on it when she wants. given below are some pictures of it please help me in growing this.. thanks

Attachments

• DSC00459.JPG
    DSC00459.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00462.JPG
    DSC00462.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00463.JPG
    DSC00463.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 26

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
cute little RES! However, I think it needs more room to swim! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You do need to provide to more space to swim, it does look cool...

hari2m

5 Year Member
sure, but i need some time. but as soon as possible. thanx!!!!!!!

what type of can i feed?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
dalano73 said:

Ditto (meaning "I agree heartily with what this person said!").

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, no tortoise or turtle can live properly in the set-up you have provided. As reptiles, they need proper heating, as well as adequate space and diet to survive properly in captivity. The Red-eared Slider you currently possess can grow fairly large (a shell length of at least 12 inches) and will require a fair amount of space. You definitely want to make sure they have a basking area of 95 degrees Fahrenheit to sunbathe. Perhaps members who keep RES can post some images of their set-ups to give you examples of proper housing for sliders.

Babies can be fed most kinds of commercial turtle diet made specifically for baby aquatic turtles. You can also supplement their diet with invertebrates such as small worms, mealworms and crickets. DO NOT feed them live gold fish or live minnows.

Hopefully, this is helpful to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hari:

Your new little turtle can eat live food...worms, crickets, pill bugs. They will also eat a little bit of veggies, but not much, or water plants.

It would be a good idea to put a light over the bowl where its shining down on the rock, so the turtle can come out of the water and warm up.

hari2m

5 Year Member
ShiningSnakes said:
dalano73 said:

Ditto (meaning "I agree heartily with what this person said!").

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, no tortoise or turtle can live properly in the set-up you have provided. As reptiles, they need proper heating, as well as adequate space and diet to survive properly in captivity. The Red-eared Slider you currently possess can grow fairly large (a shell length of at least 12 inches) and will require a fair amount of space. You definitely want to make sure they have a basking area of 95 degrees Fahrenheit to sunbathe. Perhaps members who keep RES can post some images of their set-ups to give you examples of proper housing for sliders.

Babies can be fed most kinds of commercial turtle diet made specifically for baby aquatic turtles. You can also supplement their diet with invertebrates such as small worms, mealworms and crickets. DO NOT feed them live gold fish or live minnows.

Hopefully, this is helpful to you.

Thanks for your kind info, will be working for ideas

emysemys said:
Hi Hari:

Your new little turtle can eat live food...worms, crickets, pill bugs. They will also eat a little bit of veggies, but not much, or water plants.

It would be a good idea to put a light over the bowl where its shining down on the rock, so the turtle can come out of the water and warm up.

thanks for ur information, and will work on it. let me see if someone with RES attaches images of their setup....:rolleyes:

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I don't keep water turtles anymore but here is a pic of my old setup. A 75 gallon tank. I know it's hard to see but there is a turtle in there.

001-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.