New greek tortoise Owner.

s.w.larkin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
We received out new Moroccan Greek on Friday. I have had a Russians before, but this is my first greek. On first interaction we gave him a good soak for 15-20 min and introduced him to his new home. He has a warm spot at 31 Celsius and a cool part of his inclosure is 25 C. I am trying to get the temperature up- but the standard 100W bulb just is not doing it. I ordered a Mercury Vapor Bulb, which I have used in the past and it should arrive early this week.

The tortoise is now burrowing in the Substrate and showing little signs of activity. When I take him out for his morning soak in water he is still showing signs of interest and activity.

Thoughts, Is there need for concern?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hiding on arrival is very common. Everything is new and scary.

Establish a routine so your tort can learn to trust you and his new home... something like:
- lights on using a timer
- 20 minute soak in warm water before your tort has warmed up properly
- tidy the enclosure and place food during the soak
- pop your tort back in and walk away
- resist the temptation to watch. You're big and intimidating at the moment. Give your tort space to be brave and explore.

If you're having problems with temperatures then get a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and use it with a thermostat.

Also having a full or part lid will help to improve both temperature and humidity.

Have you read the care sheets for Greeks? They have the most up to date guidance written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Greek Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

And if you have a baby, Baby Testudo Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is perfectly normal for your tortoise to hide at first.
he may think he is on another's territory or that there may be predators here, including you, who may eat him.
He'll soon start to explore and realize this is his new, safe enclosure and that you are the food god. :)
I was the same when i moved in here, i spent three weeks in the cupboard, scared to come out.
The threads Joe'sMum linked for you above are excellent.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We received out new Moroccan Greek on Friday. I have had a Russians before, but this is my first greek. On first interaction we gave him a good soak for 15-20 min and introduced him to his new home. He has a warm spot at 31 Celsius and a cool part of his inclosure is 25 C. I am trying to get the temperature up- but the standard 100W bulb just is not doing it. I ordered a Mercury Vapor Bulb, which I have used in the past and it should arrive early this week.

The tortoise is now burrowing in the Substrate and showing little signs of activity. When I take him out for his morning soak in water he is still showing signs of interest and activity.

Thoughts, Is there need for concern?
Welcome to the forum @s.w.larkin .

Torts dislike change therefore they need time to get used to it. So do not worry/panic.

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure, so as to enable us to help you much more easily.

Give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.