New from Jersey

mikeh

5 Year Member
Welcome. Jersey has a perfect weather for Greeks to be outdoors full time from at least May to late September. Get them outside!:)
I live in Jersey, all my tortoises are outdoors full time during these months.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Welcome from WI! :) Your tortoises are too cute. Bulb wise I was recommended Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 160 Watts but that was for my Russian Tortoise. I've heard nothing but good things about the UV Mercury bulbs.

ginamarie89

Welcome. Jersey has a perfect weather for Greeks to be outdoors full time from at least May to late September. Get them outside!:)
I live in Jersey, all my tortoises are outdoors full time during these months.

Thanks Mike! I agree the summer weather is perfect, and were outside daily for a few hours of sun , for now. I still think my guys are too small right now to be left out there alone with everything that comes in and out if my yard. But when they are a little bigger I will definitely not gave a probl with that.

Gina Marie

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Grandpa Turtle,

Here are some pictures of the current enclosure. Yes, I know it's lacking. Any suggestions are welcomed.

View attachment 86795
A little dark, sorry. It extends a bit to the right which is their darker cooler spot. Fixture has 25 watt basking bulb getting the spot about 95 consistently. And the right is a UVB. Temp in the enclosure currently 83. The thermometer popped off the wall you can see it there. It's also a hygrometer and humidity is exactly 50%. Cypress mulch for bedding. Screen top on left side, solid on the right.

View attachment 86796
Water bowl on the right food on the left, Boost sleeping in the corner haha

View attachment 86797
Better look at the "hide" side. Slides open.

Gina Marie

I would add a few hides or plants for the torts to feel more secure in/explore. I don't know much about cypress mulch, but I use coco coir substrate and it holds humidity quite well for growing greek hatchlings. It remains damp underneath and dry on top.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Also wanted to ask, what's the IDEAL diet for these guys? My old guy loved romaine, went crazy over it. But he also ate the zoo med natural grassland tortoise food, the occasional cherry tomato, kale, and mixed greens. I'm looking to get the Mazuri's tortoise diet, wondering if it was as good as I've been seeing around. Thanks again!

I feed my greek romaine, spring mix, escarole, and weeds (dandelion, catsear, prickly lettuce, kidney weed, chickweed, and mallow). Occasionally I will give him some bok choy, collard greens, cucumber, and hibiscus whenever I can get my hands on it.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Just a suggestion. Most if not all babies should be in a closed enclosure. It helps with heat and moisture so they don’t pyramid.. You have beautiful torts there! And, welcome to the forum.