"NEW" Cherryhead FEMALE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
This girl reportedly was raised from a hatchling.. in an 'aquarium' that she eventually could not turn around in! Her staple diet was "Reptomin" turtle pellets.... and who knows what else she was subjected to..... where does ignorance end and stupidity start?

Shown here she is eating collard greens.. for the first time. This pic was taken about 3' from the light.. so the flash didn't distort the colors too bad - she is very red!

10inFemale.jpg

After almost 2 months of acclimating her to others of her own kind and a proper environment.. she is doing well with a simple yet complete diet. When she came to me [ 9/01/09 ] she would not come out from under the Rose of Sharon growing toward the corner of the 'quarantine' enclosure outdoors - I don't think she had ever seen 'natural' daylight before.. or touched the ground for that matter! BUT surprisingly.. she was very heavy in weight!

OUTDOORQuarantine.jpg

Her fecal showed clean ( not surpising.. she had not been around other tortoises ) so I placed her out into the main pen with her own kind almost immediately while the weather was still warm enough to be out all night... AND before she would be taken indoors into 'closer' quarters.

NOTE: THIS SITUATION WAS UNIQUE.. NEVER INTRODUCE ANOTHER REDFOOT INTO YOUR ESTABLISHED GROUP BEFORE 3 MONTHS QUARANTINE!!!

The pics below are directly under a flor. "sunlight" tube.. so the colors are showing "orange" [ lighting/flash really influences colors ].

Her carapace is not that bad.. but does have quite abnormal growth. She measures over 10" SCL -

10inFemaleC.jpg

I've not seen this "lumpy" plastron growth before.. [ unfortunately it can't be seen well ] probly from the crazy diet, etc. [ kept on newspapers ] - see the RED on her head -

10inFemaleP.jpg

The 'dark/marbled' plastron of the Brazilian redfoot is evident almost right out of the egg - month old hatchling -

BabyBELLY.jpg

There's that "NOSE".. and loves hisbiscus leaves too.

10inFemaleNOSE.jpg

This big girl should make babies next year!!!

Hope you enjoyed...

Terry K

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a relief that this lovely creature is now in good hands, living in the "right" environment and eating the "right" food!

She looks so calm and stoic, even when she is on her back. And such a colorful, beautiful face. I admire the Redfoot coloring patterns, especially the orange/red spots on the top of each carapace scute.

I hope your deliverance of this Redfoot speciman from incarceration to tortoise harmony is rewarded with some big healthy eggs!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am glad she is with you now Terry, she is a beautiful girl. I am sure she is very happy now that you are taking care of her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.