New baby Greek Spur-Thighed Parent

Tort_Jan23

Location (City and/or State)
Durham, UK
Hi,
I recently became the owner of two baby Greek tortoises, they're now 6 months old and I'm completely in love with them!
As a new owner I've joined TortoiseForum so I can access help and advice from other Tortoise parents! I want to give them the best care and just want to check if they're looking healthy and what's the expected weight gain for babies. I weigh them every week and they have stayed around the same (from 37g, sometimes up to 42g but mostly 39g). Is this normal? The are bathed every other day and enclosure is sprayed throughout the day to maintain humidity. They are eating a diet of mixed leaves, rocket, radicchio and sometimes soaked tortoise food. They have recently become very active around midday, walking around their enclosure, I'm not sure if they're seeking interaction or if this is just normal for an inquisitive tortoise ? Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240106_093305.jpg
    20240106_093305.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231222112017_IMG_8963.JPG
    20231222112017_IMG_8963.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231222112000_IMG_8961.JPG
    20231222112000_IMG_8961.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very cute. Congrats. Unfortunately they need to be separated. Tortoises should never live as a pair. One will bully the other and they are both under stress as they are not wanting or used to living constantly with another tortoise in their space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
I recently became the owner of two baby Greek tortoises, they're now 6 months old and I'm completely in love with them!
As a new owner I've joined TortoiseForum so I can access help and advice from other Tortoise parents! I want to give them the best care and just want to check if they're looking healthy and what's the expected weight gain for babies. I weigh them every week and they have stayed around the same (from 37g, sometimes up to 42g but mostly 39g). Is this normal? The are bathed every other day and enclosure is sprayed throughout the day to maintain humidity. They are eating a diet of mixed leaves, rocket, radicchio and sometimes soaked tortoise food. They have recently become very active around midday, walking around their enclosure, I'm not sure if they're seeking interaction or if this is just normal for an inquisitive tortoise ? Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome! Congrats on the new babies.

I agree they need to be separated ASAP. Groups of juveniles can work, but never pairs. They are perfectly happy all alone as the sole king or queen of their domain. This chronic stress could be one reason for the slow weight gain.

It also looks like you've gotten some of the typical wrong advice for substrate. Let's start here, and questions are welcome:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Congratulations! They are beautiful. Now when each one has its own separate enclosure, they will grow healthy and happy too!

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Congratulations! And welcome to the forum. The advice given above is great advice. Please take the time to read through the above links that were provided.