new Baby Bowser my sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Welcomed him in about a week ago and he is doing great.I turned a old bookshelf into his new home by removing the shelves and adding lining to hold mositure.Also comes with a convient bottom shelf which I turned into his hidebox.I have him on leafy greens and a occasional flower.I also let him roam around my yard every afternoon when I get off work and he nibbled/fights with the grass outside lol.I have been reading about misting him so I will start that I want his shell to remain smooth.I do give him calcium dust 2xs a week in his food.So is there anything I'm missing lol I want to be the best mum I can be.I'm from Tx by the way.Any advice would be appreciated :) I'm looking into getting Cactus its surpisingly hard to find in my area.go figure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sulcatababies1404:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

We have quite a few Texans on our member's list. Are you in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

It might be a good idea to provide some moist/damp sphagnum moss inside the hiding area of the book case.

Can we see pictures?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! So what hooked you on getting this little guy?

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
I LOVE TORTOISES! lol I have always wanted a tortoise for as looong as i can remember and was always told no due to space.WEll i recently got a place of my own with about 3 acres of free roaming space and bam baby Sulcata next in line :) He is still a little guy but already enjoy the walks in the yard.Cant wait till he grows up :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sulcatababies1402 said:
I LOVE TORTOISES! lol I have always wanted a tortoise for as looong as i can remember and was always told no due to space.WEll i recently got a place of my own with about 3 acres of free roaming space and bam baby Sulcata next in line :) He is still a little guy but already enjoy the walks in the yard.Cant wait till he grows up :)

So a long term dream come true! Great!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

If you want cactus, just go to any Mexican store and you can find them in the produce section and they are always in stock.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
1316453287.jpg
this is my revised bookshelf now turned tort table there is a upper half that still holds a shelf and i keep all his stuff in.I can also knock out that upper shelf to give him more room if needed but as for now i think what i have is plenty.Plus he does get outdoor exercise in the afternoon to get his workout in :)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:

If you want cactus, just go to any Mexican store and you can find them in the produce section and they are always in stock.

That is what i was thinking but i didnt know if that kind was ok for them.If thats the case i will get right on it i know he would love some cactus :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dalano73 said:

You also might check around in here, we have some of the most generous folks in here and often somebody will be sweet enough to give you a start or two from their own stock. Not me however, I kill the darn stuff. :(

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
that would be awesome i would love to grow it if i could.Its been so dry here i can imagine cactus would just spring up lol any help would be lovely.You think i could get it from the store and grow it? probably not if they keep it on ice huh?

Thanks everyone for the welcome! So happy i found you guys I am the odd ball here who fell in love with a tortoise and its good to know there are others out there like me :) i am looking to get my little guy a friend but i figure i would give him some spoiling time first lol i dont want him to be a lonely Bowser.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I had a few pads in the ground, "my large sulcata ate all but one of them to the ground" I have one left in the ground that I got from the grocery store, it seems to take longer for them to produce new pads but they will. They dont keep them on ice at the store because they dont stay longon the shelf, and the bottoms are already hard so all you need to do is bury them halfway in the ground and let it do its thing...

Around here store's sells them for very cheap, I have gotten them on sale for 3lbs for .99 cents

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
I had a few pads in the ground, "my large sulcata ate all but one of them to the ground" I have one left in the ground that I got from the grocery store, it seems to take longer for them to produce new pads but they will. They dont keep them on ice at the store because they dont stay longon the shelf, and the bottoms are already hard so all you need to do is bury them halfway in the ground and let it do its thing...

Around here store's sells them for very cheap, I have gotten them on sale for 3lbs for .99 cents

well sounds like a steal and i am not Ms. green thumb but i think i can make some cactus grow lol hopefully! :) if not 3lbs for .99 cents sound like a good deal to me.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I dont have a green thumb either, but like my wife tells me all the time "cactus just wanna grow" we had one pad that the bottom rotted and the top lay flat on the ground and it started growing roots and it produced one new pad before it got munched to the ground.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Hello and welcome to you and Bowser :)

Bowser is the name of my sulcata too :D But she is a female, I found this out recently, lol. But I love the name Bower for a tort, lol.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
I dont have a green thumb either, but like my wife tells me all the time "cactus just wanna grow" we had one pad that the bottom rotted and the top lay flat on the ground and it started growing roots and it produced one new pad before it got munched to the ground.

well hopefully i will have just as much luck and they will grow themselves :) I know he would love some cactus and that is what they were feeding him before i got him so i dont want to keep it from the little guy.

sharkstar said:
welcome to the forum!

Thank you! :) happy i found you guys all these threads have been alot of help

drgnfly2265 said:
Hello and welcome to you and Bowser :)

Bowser is the name of my sulcata too :D But she is a female, I found this out recently, lol. But I love the name Bower for a tort, lol.

Well i am only guessing that Bowser is a boy i might have the same issue you have down the road.But your right Bowser is a awesome name if i do say so myself lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.