New adult Sulcata and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
This is Frank (Sinatra), we call him Frankie. He was RW from the Long Island Turtle Rescue, but one of my daughters thought that he should be renamed Frank Sinatra since he was from NYC. He came to us last week and we are so happy to have him with us! He is a super friendly and a curious little guy. Excuse the tortoise log he decided to pass right before the photo...Geez.

156bmfk.jpg

OK, couple of questions. He didn't have a history, so any guess on possible age? He is 15" and 15lbs.

Some shell issues in the past, but no soft spots now. However he has places on top of his pyramids that look like they have been rubbed off in the past.? They are smooth and rather shiny. I wasn't sure if I should be concerned about these or not.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome to Frank! he looks kind of like my rescued Sulcata. Glad he is in good hands now.

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
The rub spots on his shell are probably from living in a borrow. My turtle lives in a borrow and he has the same rub marks on top of his shell

Timmytort

5 Year Member
There is no sure way to tell how old he is. With the amount of pyramiding he has he is most likely much older than a smooth shelled 15 inch tortoise. From what I have seen most sully's are between 4 and 5 when they hit 15 inches. The reason yours would be older than the smooth shelled one at the same size is yours has grown differently. Instead of growing out his shell has grown up, make sense?

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
It makes total sense, Timmytort. I was wondering if there were some sort of indication of growth rings, even on a deformed shell. I was thinking maybe 8-10? But I know there is probably no way of knowing for sure. Mostly it is just an answer for the people who ask, "Oh, how old is he?" :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You can't tell with the growth rings either because a tortoises can have a growth spurt and could have several grow rings in a matter of weeks and months.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Just explain to people that there is no real way to know for sure since he was a rescue. Then you can tell them your best estimate which is probably somewhere in the 8-10 range like you said. I say he is 9 years 3 months and 12, no 14 days old

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That's so great of you to adopt him :)

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Hi,
Congrats on the new addition. I too adopted an older guy this past summer. He is 22" long and 61lbs and 10 years old. That is according to the rescue from their previous owners. Mine too has the top of some of his raised scutes worn off. He is in great shape, minus a small scrape/shinny spot on each of his little pyramids.
Rescue said that the owners said that he was curious and was always looking for different ways around things. Sometimes that included under objects. I find that he does the same thing here. I tell my hubby that he thinks that he is a skinny little thing still, NOT the medium monster that he really is! :D
Enjoy your new guy! I know we love having ours!!!!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I love his inquisitive face... no idea on age, but he's freakin' adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.