New adoption!!! Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
Today I adopted a new tortoise. His name is rusty. The previous owners said the had him about 10 years. He was about the size of a softball when they got him. He is very active. The only concern I have right now is his shell. The previous owners said he is shedding again. Again? So he has done his before? I asked. They replied with yes. Is this normal? I did not think they did this. Hopefully the pics work.

Attachments

• image-510058513.png
    image-510058513.png
    962.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1082964302.png
    image-1082964302.png
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 113
  • image-33191286.png
    image-33191286.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1587812250.png
    image-1587812250.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 98

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Not normal, its shell rot. need to get that treated asap... looks pretty bad on that one side. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is beautiful...and great save for sure. Absolutely he is not "shedding", tortoise do not shed..they have growth and the scutes develop the growth lines that accompany the growth.

He absolutely sustained some major damage to the scutes and that is bone you are seeing....however, it does not appear fresh. The area is dry right? not sticky or mushy?

There is no exact way to know what caused the damage-----of course we can speculate, perhaps heating element too close to him while he was seeking warmth...perhaps a crazy bout with shell rot....or a simply injury that was never cared for can create serious shell issues....

I would keep that area clean and be sure that any artificial heating elements do not get too close --likely not an issue due to the summer weather....

qixer01

10 Year Member!
Yes the bone is dry and hard. Not wet or mushy. Should I peel all the loose shell off or just let it be??

qixer01

10 Year Member!
What is the best to put on him. I have read a lot of mixed things online.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i would just keep it clean....i would also make sure the edges stay clean as well so no ick builds up....:D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My vet pulls off any areas that come up easily with a fingernail. If it's loose, dirt and moisture can get under it and cause further damage. Where are you located?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He sure does have some damage, doesn't he. I agree, I would expect it was from either getting too close to or having a heating unit fall on him. Did they say for how many years he has been "shedding"?

qixer01

10 Year Member!
No. All they said is that he is shedding again. They have had him for 10 years. I don't know how or where he was kept.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Jacqui said:
I agree, I would expect it was from either getting too close to or having a heating unit fall on him.

I thought it was shell rot at first because of the areas with discoloration, although because of the "contained" area and bone exposure, it definitely looks like a heating unit fell on him.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
Ok say that a heating unit did fall on him at some point. Is it healing? Should I do anything? Like I said the area is hard and it does not seem to be tender or hurt him when I touch it or mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.