Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentzinc

5 Year Member
I have a year old sulcata tortoise and she has not been active at all for almost a month. Only time she opens her eyes is when i give her a bath. I also need someone to give me some step by step instructions on how to make a better home for her. I live in South Dakota so outside in the sun is not an option right now. Also dont know what to feed her besides the same lettuce stuff ive been buying from walmart. Some one please help, feel overwhelmed not being able to get the same answers or where to find some of the foods she needs to eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi bentzinc:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Chances are pretty good that your tortoise isn't warm enough. Can you either describe your set-up or send us a picture of it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post pics and step by step of your set up. Substrate, lighting, heating, food, the things you are using. Visit the tortoisetable.org for all kinds of plants/weeds/grasses that can be fed. Also visit Carolina pet supply for some of the things you can grow yourself, they carry seeds and things. Give us as much information about your set up as possible, then the better we can help.:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The first thing that I would do is to get him warm (80 - 85 F) and keep him warm. 24/7. With my tortoise I do that by using a pair of ceramic heat emitters controlled by a thermostat. He is in an enclosure that has a cover so that the heat doesn't escape and stays at a fairly constant temperature. During the day I turn on a MVB lamp that he will bask under. The lamp provides ultraviolet light that these tortoises need for good health. In your part of the world, where he can't go out in the winter I think these are very necessary, although some will disagree. But the idea is to provide a spot in the enclosure where the tortoise can raise his core temperature above the normal ambient temp.

Next I would locate a source for Mazuri Tortoise diet. Its made by Purina and I get it from my local feed store that sells Purina products. You can also order it online. The reason I suggest this is that when my tort was sick and wouldn't eat anything I offered him he did eat the Mazuri. It seems when they get sick and stop being active they also stop eating.

Once he perks up a bit you can begin to modify his environment to raise a healthy tortoise.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
hi there, I'm sorry to your baby isn't feeling well. Here are all the links I find most helpful
I put the most important ones in bold , u should read those ASAP
The care sheet gives u very specific details on how to care for ur baby
You really, really need to read the hatching failure syndrome one

this is about the best enclosures for sulcata tortoises
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Closed-Chambers#axzz1hkZxITMK

These are care sheets , one is for leopard tortoises but it works really well for sulcatas . Tom's how to raise hathcling sulcatas is the most important though
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1i4Ds8pC6

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1i4Ds8pC6

This one is about hatchling failure syndrome and how to prevent it 
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1i4Ds8pC6

These threads are about pyramiding
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1i4Ds8pC6
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards#axzz1i4Ds8pC6[hr]
I think the most important thing u can do for your tortoise right now is get him HYDRATED, daily soaks I'm warm water, lots of mistings with a spray bottle everyday, up the humidity in the enclosure.
While u are doing this u have to keep him warm, above 80 degrees 24/7 . That is a must. Sulcatas need to stay hot, humid, and hydrated the beginning of their life's
Also you need to make sure he has a really really good source of UVB , if he has a soft shell which could be why he is so inactive then he might have metabolic bone disease have u been keeping him with lots of UVB (mercury vapor bulbs or bright , strong unfiltered sunlight . :) plus calcium supplements. UVB provides tortoise with the vitamin D3 which they need to proccess the calcium to make their bones and shell strong to prevent metabolic bone disease :)

What have u been feeding him , what supplements ?
What do u use for UVB source ?
one last question what have been the temps, humidity levels, and have u been doing mistings with soaks everyday or about everyday ?
These are important questions that will help everyone on the forum give u better help :)

Keep us updated I hope your little tortoise gets to feeling better :):):)

Here are just more links I came across that might be helpful. I'm kinda throwing everything out there
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Calcium-rich-gel-food-for-supplementation#axzz1jmsabtXW

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...Freddy-s-Issues-Thanks-Tortania#axzz1jmpVIsep

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Soaking-and-rehydration-benefit-and-a-recipe#axzz1jmpVIsep

And as for good food sources. Cactus pads are a really good thing to feed them , there is lots of places to get those. One place is costal silk worms website
If u still can find some grass growing in your back yard rip that up and feed that.
Carolinapetsupply.com has good salad mixes and hay that u can feed him
You can buy Mazuri to feed him as a staple once a week or so , some feed more with no problems. I prefer grassland zoo med food over that though because it's not soy, it's actual hay and can just be bought at petsmart or amazon. Buy small amounts of everything at first to be sure he will even eat it haha
Also seed mixes are really good for your tortoise , sulcatafood.com sells them cheaper than Carolinafoodsupply but the carolinafoodsupply has more seed options and u can plant them in little trays indoor next to a window and just place the tray once the grass has grown in your sullies enclosure and rotate the trays of grass :)
There are lots of Internet options to vary what u feed your tortoise. I would sugguest no fruits really and only very high fiber hay and grasses and weeds. Grass and weeds are the best for them
An easy available source is at your grocery store, dark dark leafy greens. Such as kale, turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens
Mine love love love cactus pads. Cactus pads are awesome cause they are really high in calcium

bentzinc

5 Year Member
I can't get my phone to upload photos but I'm willing to send a pic text of my tortoise. I jus picked her out of her cage to give her a bath and she has big red purple marks on her belly. They look like bruises and she is hardly moving and won't open her eyes

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs to see a vet ASAP. It may be suffering from septicemia (an infection inside the body). Please don't waste time trying to find cures from us or online. You need to take the tortoise to a qualified tortoise vet.

bentzinc

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Your tortoise needs to see a vet ASAP. It may be suffering from septicemia (an infection inside the body). Please don't waste time trying to find cures from us or online. You need to take the tortoise to a qualified tortoise vet.

Only problem is nearest and only vet that will c her in sd is over 3 hours away

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Your Tortoise sounds to be in a very bad way and getting worse! your 3 hour trip may be the only chance your little one has...just sayin'...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
bentzinc said:
emysemys said:

Only problem is nearest and only vet that will c her in sd is over 3 hours away

I sure hope you tortoise is OK, however, owning any type of exotic animal (reptile) is going to require seeing a vet. 3 hrs away is far, but you need to take your pet there, worst case scenario is he/she is suffering, and you wouldn't want that. I would definitely search for a vet closer to you if you can, also make a call to your vet, they may know someone closer.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Make sure there is a spot where it can be warm. Also try a change of scenery every so often. A trip to the yard for a few hours will often do the trick. If there's no sun bring a heat lamp. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.