need help with my clamp lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can anyone advise me on how i can stop my ceramic light fixture from sliding through the clamps brackets!? i've had the clamp lamp for nearly a year and it has now start to slide through the brackets. I've tightened it so much i've broken the wings of the nut! i've added a protective cover today as added protection, good job really as it keeps falling, but the extra wieght isn't helping me solve the problem! any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I always remove the wing nuts and bracket and clamp and hang the lights. Much safer and easier to get pointing straight down.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I always remove the wing nuts and bracket and clamp and hang the lights. Much safer and easier to get pointing straight down.

I think this may be the way forward for me too! going B&Q (hardware store) tomorrow to get some chain and hooks! just don't understand why it has just started! poor torts i've scared them from their food tonight with all the banging, crashing and fiddling with this lamp - poor babies, big breakie tomorrow! lol x

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If you can't rig it up to safely hang with the type of fixture you have, I'd get a new better one as it isn't something you want to take chances with. I like to move my tort out of the enclosure before I mess with anything because noise, possibility of having the heat too close and over heating him, and picking up substrate dust are all things I don't want him around. I have a little travel tub I can put him in another room in, the same one I use for the vet and such.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
If you can't rig it up to safely hang with the type of fixture you have, I'd get a new better one as it isn't something you want to take chances with. I like to move my tort out of the enclosure before I mess with anything because noise, possibility of having the heat too close and over heating him, and picking up substrate dust are all things I don't want him around. I have a little travel tub I can put him in another room in, the same one I use for the vet and such.

I totally agree! my babies are not usually in their house if i am fiddling for ages and definately not when cleaning but i had no choice on this occassion - i walked into their room to see the light slipping nearly all the way out of the clamp, i jumped on my stool and held the ceramic bit, temp reads 100c so ceramic v.hot, whilst shouting to my husband to move george who decided that a warm up was over due and moved underneath it, so on this occassion being organised wasn't the option! safety of my baby was!

you'll be pleased to know it is now hanging safely and i am now monitoring the temps.

thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.