need help.. what kind of turtle is this?

steph25

Hello everyone.. I'm new here.. I found this little fellow walking along the sidewalk here in Texas. I am a life-long animal lover and love reptiles. I think this is a tortoise but have no idea what kind or how to care for it. Can anyone help me identify? I do have more pictures..

20150715_014702.jpg 20150715_014537.jpg 20150715_014657.jpg 20150715_014521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The dark shell is throwing me. But I swer it is a sulcata.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Welcome to the forum! Yes that is a sulcata tortoise these guys are are native to Africa. It's most likely can escaped pet put flyers up and ask neighbors if they have lost a tortoise. For now provide it a warn environment don't let him get cold and provide a shallow plant saucer for water and feed him fresh grasses no fruit should be given to him. Look at Toms care sheet in the sulcata for more information and don't be shy to ask any questions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Don't panic, you'll get help from the experts, here. In the meantime, you could read the 'beginners' thread' as well as care sheets.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
yep, that's a lost or abandoned pet Sulcata tortoise. Where in TX are you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steph, and welcome to the Forum!

Please try to find this tortoise's owner. Put a found ad on craigslist.com and a found ad in your local newspaper. Make up fliers with printing big enough to be able to be read by people driving by, and tack them up on utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
if your going try and find the owner I suggest you be vague in your description and just say "Found Tortoise @....." make them show you pictures and describe it to you. There are lots of people looking for free tortoises and will tell you its there's. Im sure there are tortoise rescues in SA too if you cant look after it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

You are getting tons advises, So i'm just here to welcome you and best wishes to you and this sulcata.

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Welcome to the forum and good save :) Cute Sulcata.
Recently I drove by some Lost signs for a tortoise and they were very noticeable. The owner cut the signs to look like a tort from fluorescent poster board. Maybe put up a few signs saying you found one but no specifics so you can verify the actual owner.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Shell is dark, looks like he was kept inside, claws look awfully long too. I'm no expert, I've only got one and he stays outside during the summer days, his shell has lightened with sunlight and his claws are worn to walk comfortably. Maybe he had an owner with good intentions but if you find his home I'd point them here for some advise or something.