Need Help: Russian Tortoise Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madeline

5 Year Member
Hi, I am still fairly new here. I have a Russian Tortoise and I have had him for about 2 weeks now. His shell looks not that pretty like a baby sulcata's that I have seen at a petstore. I am not sure if that is normal? Well the other day I noticed that he has a piece of his shell chipped off. Also some squares looks like they can be pulled off? He has some skin coming off on his neck and head too I think. Is this normal? I am really worried about him. I give him a soak once a week so far. He has a cuttle bone in his habitat. And sometimes I sprinkle some calcium in his food. I am really worried.

Also I was wondering, since it is cold this time of year here in SoCal, should I not be soaking him too much?

His habitat consists of bark and some dirt they told me to buy at the pet store. Is that fine? What if I just put the bark in there without the dirt, is that okay too?

I don't know if it's just me or what but when I watch him eat sometimes he is slow. When I first got him he ate so much. But now is eats less. Is he hibernating or something or preparing? He does get faster at eating when he eats Romaine Lettuce though.

This is my first real pet and I really just don't want anything bad to happen to him.

He sleeps a lot too during the day. I don't know what other information I should give but just ask if you need more to figure out if something is wrong with him. I am mainly worried about his shell.

Oh and I have no name for him right now. It was Jack but I don't like that name for him so if you have some ideas on what to name him that would be great. Thank you!:tort:

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
definately soak him more ofter and it could just be from him/her rubbing on something. he i probably lethargic (Slow) becasuse his temps are too low. what is the temp and/or the humidity? and make sure to soak him in warm water.

Madeline

5 Year Member
I am not sure what the tempature is or the humidity. Should his floor be very wet or dry? I leave the heat lamp on almost all day but when I do go out I turn it off. This weekend hopefully, I am converting his flooring to just the bark and no dirt. So slow is when he has little heat?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

crocididdle said:
definately soak him more ofter and it could just be from him/her rubbing on something. he i probably lethargic (Slow) becasuse his temps are too low. what is the temp and/or the humidity? and make sure to soak him in warm water.

I am not sure what the tempature is or the humidity. Should his floor be very wet or dry? I leave the heat lamp on almost all day but when I do go out I turn it off. This weekend hopefully, I am converting his flooring to just the bark and no dirt. So slow is when he has little heat?

crocididdle said:

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
Madeline said:

crocididdle said:

crocididdle said:

try here:
http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/russian-tortoise.aspx

Or here:
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

im better with sulcata because i have one but just use the frequent knowledge you hear and do alot of research. turn his light off at night and keep the place humid, but not soaking wet. if he is cold he will tend to be slower and the substrate is a preference between you and your tortoise. What you have sounds great and the all bark sounds good too. depends on what the little guy likes :)

Madeline

5 Year Member
Thank you that was all very helpful!

crocididdle said:
Madeline said:

crocididdle said:

crocididdle said:

try here:
http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/russian-tortoise.aspx

Or here:
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

im better with sulcata because i have one but just use the frequent knowledge you hear and do alot of research. turn his light off at night and keep the place humid, but not soaking wet. if he is cold he will tend to be slower and the substrate is a preference between you and your tortoise. What you have sounds great and the all bark sounds good too. depends on what the little guy likes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.