Need advice

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, so my tortoise, Max, has a terrible internal parasite problem. Ive had him for a month now and just last week, after many vet appointments and having him tube fed since he hasnt eaten since i got him, i saw that he finally pooped some & had a terribly large amount of worms. Im getting him dewormed friday. I wanted it earlier but the vet is booked all week. Hes looking really weak. Is there anything i can do for him to help him while we wait for friday? I soak him every other day so he at least stays hydrated.

Kasia

Poland
Find a vet who will do it tomorrow. Seriously find another Vet. It's not an open heart surgery and from Your description he needs it ASAP.

Last edited:

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Find a vet who will do it tomorrow. Seriously find another Vet. It's not an open heart surgery and from Your description he needs it ASAP.
Can any vet deworm a tortoise? She is the only exotic vet near me

Kasia

Poland
Can any vet deworm a tortoise? She is the only exotic vet near me

Call and ask if they are knowledgeable enough to do it and have any experience with tortoise - probably You'll get second dose to administer by Yourself at home. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Call and ask if they are knowledgeable enough to do it and have any experience with tortoise - probably You'll get second dose to administer by Yourself at home. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Ive called about 10 different places & they all say they dont do tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try calling your vet and let them know your tort is getting very weak. Ask if they can squeeze you in or give you the meds to administer yourself. There are plenty of members that could tell you how to do it. Keep soaking and I would add some baby food carrots to the soak along with pedialyte. Good luck, keep us posted.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Try calling your vet and let them know your tort is getting very weak. Ask if they can squeeze you in or give you the meds to administer yourself. There are plenty of members that could tell you how to do it. Keep soaking and I would add some baby food carrots to the soak along with pedialyte. Good luck, keep us posted.
Trust me ive asked both. Shes doing multiple surgeries this week & when i asked if i could do it myself she advised against it ill see about the baby food. I heard baby food is high in sugars though. I was able to take Max outside today & he was fairly active. These next couple of days will be sunny and warm so ill be taking him out and soaking him after. Thank you for your help. It just looks like i'll have to wait until friday.

Kasia

Poland
Trust me ive asked both. Shes doing multiple surgeries this week & when i asked if i could do it myself she advised against it ill see about the baby food. I heard baby food is high in sugars though. I was able to take Max outside today & he was fairly active. These next couple of days will be sunny and warm so ill be taking him out and soaking him after. Thank you for your help. It just looks like i'll have to wait until friday.

If You have and reptile rescue place near by they could help You as well. Often they have a Vet on call. I've googled and there are plenty of them in Maryland, try calling and ask for help or contacts. Every day counts. I wish You and Max all the best ;)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
If You have and reptile rescue place near by they could help You as well. Often they have a Vet on call. I've googled and there are plenty of them in Maryland, try calling and ask for help or contacts. Every day counts. I wish You and Max all the best ;)
I will google that now. Thank you so much!