Need a vet

UnHooked

Location (City and/or State)
Kilgore Texas
I can not find a vet for my 6 month old sully. We live in Texas and I've tried to pull up vet list but there is an error not letting me load it. Johnny is fine but I'd like to find a vet before something happens lol. We are in Kilgore Texas.

Attachments

• 20220825_163455.jpg
    20220825_163455.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crap so Dallas is closest and over an hr away. Sadface!!!
State what city you live in and maybe other TX members will know of one closer.
Hopefully you won't need one. Not many are educated on proper tortoise care anyway.
If you ever think you do need one. Start a thread with what you see going on and most likely the experienced members here will be able to help you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Be grateful you can get to an Exotic vet at all. An hour away is easy.You found a vet you
don't need yet and you complain???

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
I'm not meaning to complain or make anyone upset. I just didn't realize. I thought there would be one closer. I'm I'm kilgore and was hoping there was one like in Longview or Tyler. My bad.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
do you have a vet for a dog or cat ? ask them if they know any ....... you got a reptile pet shop or dealer by you ? ask them ....... you got a near by zoo or aquarium ? ask them ....... those are all ways i have found a reptile vet by me in the past .....

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
Yes. But they don't see reptiles. I found one through the pet store I bought him at but they already don't know what they are taking about with tort care so I didn't want to trust their judgment. I did end up calling the vet they referred me too and I was on hold twice while they asked the vet about a tortoise and then finally they came back and said they should be able to. That made me uneasy so .....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. But they don't see reptiles. I found one through the pet store I bought him at but they already don't know what they are taking about with tort care so I didn't want to trust their judgment. I did end up calling the vet they referred me too and I was on hold twice while they asked the vet about a tortoise and then finally they came back and said they should be able to. That made me uneasy so .....
Smart to be uneasy about both the pet shop and the vets answer.
The pet shop though i don't think mark1 wanted you to ask them for advice, but to ask them what vet they use for their reptiles.
You could also call those on the list and see if they know of one closer to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hve you tried Hawkins Animal Clinic

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
try the ARAV site , see if there are any of their vets near you ? reptile vets are not common , tough to make a living as a reptile vet ....... you may need to just find a willing exotic vet , my opinion is a bird vet that is willing to see and hopefully seen a few tortoises and turtles ...... i must be lucky ,living up in northeast ohio ,i can find 7-8 ARAV vets withing 45 minutes of my house , 2 within 25minutes , don't know why but it's always been that way , maybe all the zoos and aquariums around here .........

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
O k thanks guys. And no I haven't called Hawkins. Will be doing that now. Lol I don't know why there isn't more vets that take reptiles. It's strange to me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hopefully you won't ever need one if your care what it should be, but it's always good to know who to contact in case of emergencies. Good luck.