Natural Incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hola Muchachos!

So today after many months of waiting for my Hermanns hatch out of the ground; I decided to dig them out. I didn't expect much; especially after hitting a rotten egg! (My fingers still smell). To my surprise a lil guy came running out of the hole; I thought it was a potato bug. Soon after realizing it was a baby tortoise I went inside the house to show everyone what I have found. I came out and found another one! I was ecstatic.... My question is: I thought when tortoises hatch and they absorb their sac they come out of the ground? But these guys are at least 2 weeks old...they even show some growth!

How many eggs do you guys see?
SAM_0121.jpg

I see 4...the 2 that I found. 1 rotten egg.. maybe another one???

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is very cool. How do they breath when they are underground? Do they have a tunnel?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If its a hibernating species, they sometimes stay in the nest until spring. Also, while they're in there some babies will eat the egg shells.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Very nice! Send em down here. ;)

I am selling the babies... not this very moment. I'm waiting for them to be a little bigger thus more stable. I don't know how much... I just really want them to go to good homes. These babies are going to be high yellow with distinct black markings. I gave them Mazuri today..they gobbled it up.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I have at least one or two Ibera Greek clutches in the ground somewhere in their enclosure. She kept digging trial nests and burying them. I would dig them up and nothing would be there. I think she was laughing at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.