Mystery plant

Zxsong

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena, CA.
I personally have tons of mystery plants around my yard/house and so does my family. This particular one was supposedly brought home from the place Jesus was buried or born and my mom decided to grab it and "accidentally" took it in the plane. (Which is illegal right?) She swears by it's healing powers and I'm not too sure that's true but I'd love to know what kind of succulent it is, if it's poisonous to animals/humans, etc. Its been with us for about 20+ years and looks like it's starting to grow little friends in the pot with it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1395001609.076523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1395001609.076523.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 52

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a jade plant - crassula ovata. It is edible.

redbeef

5 Year Member
'and my mom decided to grab it and "accidentally" took it in the plane. (Which is illegal right?)'

uh, yup: I wouldn't generally encourage that sort of thing. I agree w/Yvonne, tho:definitely a jade plant...the smaller plant in the background almost looks like something different though, but not necessarily: you're sure they're all part of the same plant?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're correct, as usual, Eric (redbeef) - that's a portulacaria. It is also edible and the natives in South Africa call the plant 'tortoise food.' It is more commonly known here in the states as elephant bush.

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
Thank you Jacqui!
Haha I'm sorry I'm not encouraging it either. She tells me it was a complete mistake, but whatever it was it was about 15+ years ago. I think the airports around here and much more strict now. The leaves on the smaller one look similar and I've found an even smaller plant growing that had the same leaves of that second plant. I just wanted to know out of curiosity.