My two baby sullies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Here are my two babies.... how does there shell look any sign of pyramiding?

Attachments

• DSC01572.JPG
    DSC01572.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01574.JPG
    DSC01574.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC01575.JPG
    DSC01575.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 104

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Minor pyramiding, but the newer growth looks much better than the original growth. Looks like you caught it and stopped it plenty early.

Mmmmm... Let me re-phrase... They were on their way to pyramiding with their first few growth lines but it looks like they are not now. Yes. That's a better way to put it.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
No, it will not smooth out but as they get larger the raised scutes will look less and less dramatic. Just keep them hydrated and humid and they should be fine.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Just keep up the humidity and do what you are doing. You will never see signs of it if you continue this...

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
mainey34 said:
Just keep up the humidity and do what you are doing. You will never see signs of it if you continue this...

It's hard keeping it above 50% humidity. I have a hide box with moss I spray it down 2 or 3 times a day. What else can I do

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
I was having the same problem keeping humidity above 50% I switched half of my substraight to cypress bark and add two warm glasses of water daily. The coco bark dried outta quickly for me. But I am a newbie at this so experienced owners please correct me if I am wrong here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what you can do. Its also what you should do.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

What you need to be doing is simulating the african rainy season that sulcatas are hatched into. Hot, wet, humid, lots of food everywhere. This is very difficult (if not impossible) in an open topped enclosure in a North American home with our heaters running all winter and our air conditioners running all summer.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Tom said:
Here is what you can do. Its also what you should do.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

What you need to be doing is simulating the african rainy season that sulcatas are hatched into. Hot, wet, humid, lots of food everywhere. This is very difficult (if not impossible) in an open topped enclosure in a North American home with our heaters running all winter and our air conditioners running all summer.

Where do you get the coco coir? is it the same stuff like at the pet stores the eco earth stuff?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Your babies look very nice. The best improvement that you can make, if you haven't already done so, is to cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can. This will keep more of the humidity in even with the substrate that you are using. It will also hold in more heat so you want to be careful not to over heat your babies. A thermostat is useful to keep the temperature at a constant level.

After closing off the top of my enclosure I added a second water dish to increase the humidity. Later, when I was pressed for room in the enclosure I replaced the second water dish with a big sponge on top of his humid hide.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Dizisdalife said:
Your babies look very nice. The best improvement that you can make, if you haven't already done so, is to cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can. This will keep more of the humidity in even with the substrate that you are using. It will also hold in more heat so you want to be careful not to over heat your babies. A thermostat is useful to keep the temperature at a constant level.

After closing off the top of my enclosure I added a second water dish to increase the humidity. Later, when I was pressed for room in the enclosure I replaced the second water dish with a big sponge on top of his humid hide.

what kind of substrate do you use. also where do you get the thermostat? and what kind of sponge? alot of them have soap already on them

Status
Not open for further replies.