My Tortoise skin has been peeling since for almost 2 years now

HiimGosu

My Russian Tortoises skin has been peeling for 2 years now, since I adopted him. There is a huge chunk of dead skin that's been above his tail since I got him, and there are other places where the skin is just flaky. I have soaked him quite a bit and it hasn't done much. Please help.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
They will also want to know about your enclosure, temperatures and tortoise diet. The more info you provide, the higher quality responses you will get. ;)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Do you soak your tort in warm water? And how often? That's what helped my tortoise peel more quickly. It only took her about five months.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If the same pieces of skin are still dangling on after 2 years, it leads me to think the environment is too dry.

Are you housing your tortoise on a damp, earthy type substrate? Or on dry alfalfa pellets?
More than the soak, a damp environment will aid in overall hydration.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoise skin shedding is an ongoing process.

Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it constantly in tiny bits that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches of varying size and look downright tatty at times.

As one bit rubs off, another becomes loose. It is completely normal.

That said it is good advice to double check the enclosure humidity. If conditions are too dry it can make the normal become unhealthy.

Please post pictures of the enclosure and lighting if you would like us to check them over.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum,@HiimGosu .:)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and care sheet, post pics of your tort and his enclosure. :D