My tortoise likes corners

rjleigh92

Hi! I'm Rosie and I was given a tortoise for my birthday, he's called Terry and I've had him for a week now. I've noticed that he goes to the corners a lot in his house and also when he's out and about in the flat.
I'm not sure if this means he's scared or not. Does anyone else find this?
Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435357689.097742.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
He pribably feels more secure there. They like to hide because in the wild they are food. Wide open spaces scare them.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Rosie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and pretty little Terry.
Could you possibly post us some pictures of his 'home' so we can see if there's a problem?
It may be a problem with his temperatures, or it might just be he is still settling into his new home.
It takes them a while to adjust to an new place and at first he will be afraid, but once he's realized there are no predators here and no competing tortoises he will come out and proudly claim his territory.
It also looks like he is beginning to pyramid, so make sure his home is humid and he is soaked daily.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
for some good information on how to give your tortoise a healthy and happy life.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He's looking for a safe place. Put lots of plants etc. in the enclosure so he feel secure. Your tortoise will probably walk along the wall and hiding in corners if you let him run around the house. It is not safe for them to be down on the floor because they can eat things they shouldn't.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you have a type of tortoise that likes to dig just put a lot of substrate in the corners. They'll like that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with what the members said: most probably your tort feels more secure in that corner. Plus, don't forget that it is going to take time to adapt to a new place. So give it the time it needs, though I for one knows it means a lot of patience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises tend to prefer the corners. Nothing unusual in that. Place his hiding place in the spot he likes best.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Most tortoises tend to prefer the corners. Nothing unusual in that. Place his hiding place in the spot he likes best.
Hi. Is there anexplanation/reason to that? My tort also likes corners (as I mentioned). I posted a thread about this issue in the past, and was told that a tort would stick to a corner when it's feeling insecure.

Appreciate an answer, thank you.

GeneR

Upstate New York
The tendency to hide in a corner is no different from hiding in a hole, cave, box, etc. and is common to animals other than torts. It's for security, and it's not an indication that you're doing something "wrong", or that there's something wrong with your pet. It's probably an extinctive behavior. If you put yourself in their position, being in a corner or some sort of hiding spot cuts-down on the directions where they could be vulnerable, as would be the case if they were wide out in the open. Even when your tort becomes used to his surroundings, he will often go for the corner or some other cozy spot for safety.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The tendency to hide in a corner is no different from hiding in a hole, cave, box, etc. and is common to animals other than torts. It's for security, and it's not an indication that you're doing something "wrong", or that there's something wrong with your pet. It's probably an extinctive behavior. If you put yourself in their position, being in a corner or some sort of hiding spot cuts-down on the directions where they could be vulnerable, as would be the case if they were wide out in the open. Even when your tort becomes used to his surroundings, he will often go for the corner or some other cozy spot for safety.
Alright. But in that case, IS the tort feeling insecure, as I was told by a member?

GeneR

Upstate New York
I don't know if I would use the word "insecure", in a pathological sense. I think your tort has some healthy survival instincts, which are normal. I have several Hermann's, from juvenile to adult, and they all exhibit this same behavior a good part of the time. They like wandering around as well, but they like the corners, too. I'll note the smallest one was clearly shy/anxious to start with, but this appeared to improve over time. You might experience the same with your tort.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't know if I would use the word "insecure", in a pathological sense. I think your tort has some healthy survival instincts, which are normal. I have several Hermann's, from juvenile to adult, and they all exhibit this same behavior a good part of the time. They like wandering around as well, but they like the corners, too. I'll note the smallest one was clearly shy/anxious to start with, but this appeared to improve over time. You might experience the same with your tort.
I don't think my tort is 'shy' as I have had it for a little more than four years. In other words, it already got used to the place, climate, temp, and last but not least.......ME! It's a Greek tort.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Didn't mean to offend. It sounds like your tort isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.
I did NOT take it as an offence, so don't worry! I was just clarifying that my tort is not 'shy' I think.

rjleigh92

Thanks for all the advice - here is his house. i have been getting him out to run around because he keeps walking round and round his box in circles... is this the wrong thing to do? i thought he might like a bit of room to roam.
i also took him to the park a couple of times and he has been walking round there he seems happy enough doing that but the last time i took him we spent a few hours there and eventually he got tired and went to sleep under my shirt. This was on Sunday and since then he has been quite quiet - eating a lot more and sleeping more. this morning i found him asleep under his lamp exactly where he was when i went to bed even though i turned it off before i went to sleep. i'm worried i might have overdone it taking him to the park or that maybe he ate something he shouldnt!
any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Rosie

Attachments

• IMG_9600.JPG
    IMG_9600.JPG
    914.5 KB · Views: 56

rjleigh92

Hello, Rosie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and pretty little Terry.
Could you possibly post us some pictures of his 'home' so we can see if there's a problem?
It may be a problem with his temperatures, or it might just be he is still settling into his new home.
It takes them a while to adjust to an new place and at first he will be afraid, but once he's realized there are no predators here and no competing tortoises he will come out and proudly claim his territory.
It also looks like he is beginning to pyramid, so make sure his home is humid and he is soaked daily.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
for some good information on how to give your tortoise a healthy and happy life.

Hi, sorry what do you mean by 'beginning to pyramid'? should i soak him daily i thought i should do it twice a week?
Thank you,
Rosie

GeneR

Upstate New York
I think getting him out to roam around is fine. I let one of my males roam around my room, and I find that just a little of this leaves him more settled and less restless. Just be careful of hazards on the room. I don't think you can overdo the exercise with a tortoise. I Imagine they know when to stop.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I strongly encourage you to read the threads suggested by Tidgy's Dad. Pyramiding is when their shell develops lumps instead of growing smoothly. High humidity is very important in preventing pyramiding.
Your torts enclosure looks VERY dry. Pouring water into the substrate will help, and a cover will help keep the moisture in. There are inexpensive instruments called hygrometers that you can get which will tell you what your humidity is.
Also live plants in the enclosure help a lot! They put out moisture and give the tortoise more places to hide, which keeps their stress down.
My Hermann's, Elsa, loves to sleep burrowed under the plants in her enclosure! :p
Again, PLEASE read those threads!:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, sorry what do you mean by 'beginning to pyramid'? should i soak him daily i thought i should do it twice a week?
Thank you,
Rosie
I somehow missed you reply, sorry.
read the threads I linked which explain humidity and pyramiding.
I would soak him daily for now, twice a week is fine when he's a little more settled into his humid enclosure.