My tortoise health

rest7773

I got a star hatchling who was showing the signs of RI...so I cranked up the temp and started giving it terramycin soaks...and he was bit sleepy for a few weeks...today he is eating like monster...he ate 3 hibiscus and some cat grass...is he getting better and there r no bubbles coming out frm his nostrils...

Is he getting better and is this RI cured or not??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Sounds like he is improving to me but only a good herp vet would be able to tell for sure! You have any pictures?

rest7773

This is my star...and he ate 3 of those hibiscus.

Attachments

• 1467128413060.jpg
    1467128413060.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If it was a true respiratory infection, i would think that it would take a longer time for it to "go away" without antibiotics given orally or injected.
But at any rate, if your little friend is better, great. That's all that matters.
eating is a great sign. Sick or distressed tortoises don't eat.

rest7773

Yes, ur statement gave me a little bit of relief. I just wish he gets better day By day....I have not turned of his heat light for 2 weeks now will continue for a month or two until I am sure he is 100% alright.

rest7773

I give them the leaves BT they nvr eat it...I also give them cactus cat grass beramuda grass...sometimes okra. Can u suggest some nutritional food. I also give them coleus and mint.
Thanks for the help.

rest7773

The guy i bought them frm raised them on tomatoes and okra...so I am still fighting against the bad habits...they were too much addicted to okra and French beans. I got 3 hibiscus plants so I am never short of flowers and leaves...just I wish they eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are lots of food suggestion in here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
I feed my stars the same stuff as my sulcatas, just less grass and more other stuff.

Warm temps at night are good, but your tortoise needs it dark at night. I like to use a CHE (ceramic heating element) set on a thermostat to keep night temps and daytime ambient up.

What are your four temps now? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? Where are you?

rest7773

I live in India...basking 35, warm side 32 cool side 28 overnight if the lights r off it is between 24 to 27...it's been raining hard here so the humidity is quite high...all day long the humidity is Abt 80 to 90%. During summer just add 5 degree more to the temp mentioned.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in India...basking 35, warm side 32 cool side 28 overnight if the lights r off it is between 24 to 27...it's been raining hard here so the humidity is quite high...all day long the humidity is Abt 80 to 90%. During summer just add 5 degree more to the temp mentioned.

I would not let the night temp drop below 27. I like a basking area around 37.

Stars like it hot. RIs are common if they are allow to get too cold. Important to soak often with higher heat.