My tortoise didn't seem to drink

nagletort

I've just got a 5 year old tortoise. He has a water bowl in his table but he never goes in it unless I put him in it. Well I don't think he does, the water is always clean. When I do put him in he drinks and poos. What should I do? Leave him to it to find it or kerri helping him?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats! I soak all of my tortoises regularly. How often depends on size and type. Tell us more about your tortoise please.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. My tortoise is 5 and I see him drink from his dish quite often. Then when I soak him I see him take huge, long drinks. Often a tortoise takes time to get acclimated to a new habitat. Yours may be going through that phase and just needs a little more time before he is secure enough to behave like you would expect him to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

If your 5 year old tortoise doesn't go into the water dish on his own (after you've corrected the type to one he can easily get into and out of), then you should soak him every other day or so just to be sure he's staying hydrated.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
All I have to do is clean my tortoises water bowl. My tortoise sees how clean the water is, and she plunges right in with her dirty self.

Soaking your tortoise like Yvonne said would be the best thing to do, as they can hydrate through their cloaca (tortoise butt). So if you soak your tortoise and you still don't see him/her drinking, don't worry! Probably something on the other end going on.