• IMG-20120806-00735 (Copy).jpg
    IMG-20120806-00735 (Copy).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 68

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
they look good :)
but what's your substrate i don't see any except rock on the floor ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look nice now. However, you really need to change out your substrate and add some humidity. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help you a lot in raising a healthy smooth leopard.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Given your geographical location, you don't really need to do anything special for humidity, and besides keeping different species together, I'd say your set up looks good.

Your leopard is amazingly smooth. The ones that made it to the US appear to be a lot more prone to pyramiding than the ones in Europe and Asia.

Mrsgnt

5 Year Member
UK
Neal said:
Given your geographical location, you don't really need to do anything special for humidity, and besides keeping different species together, I'd say your set up looks good.

Your leopard is amazingly smooth. The ones that made it to the US appear to be a lot more prone to pyramiding than the ones in Europe and Asia.

A lot of people say that about pyramiding. Neal do you know why?

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
Mrsgnt said:
Neal said:

thank you for all the replies..
i divided into two rooms in my terra. first using temple which can keep a heat. in the corner in this are i use basking intense , and in the another part i used RTLS (Reptile Tank Life Sub).

I put a water dish there

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
hehehhe..
i forgot introducing myself. i am filbert, 25 years old, from indonesia, i have 2 pardalis,2 sulcata,one cherry head, one emys (i put in the different terra).

Thanks for the respond above.
In my terra, i divided the place to 2 part. first i use a temple rock, and the other i use RTLS (Reptile tank life sub) such as a cocopeat, i called this room as their bedroom. in their 'bedroom' the humidity is higher, and the temp around 30 celcius, in the part which i use temple rock i put a basking spot the temp around 35-36 cel, and around the basking spot the temp around 32-34 cel.
I use 3 thermometer, and i put a water dish there.

if you have another advise please let me know so my torto will be healthier hehehehe

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Rub a dub dub, three tortoises in a tub! :D Welcome.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mrsgnt said:
Neal said:

It could be a number of reasons. Husbandry and environmental conditions probably plays the biggest role.

My own theory is that the genetic lines of leopards available in Asia and in Europe are different than the genetics that made it to the US. The ones we primarily see in Europe and Asia appear to be a bit smaller and have different shell patterns than the ones in the US and are almost always completely smooth. We know that some tortoise species are more prone to pyramiding than others (such as the sri lankan indian stars), and I think some localities of leopards are more prone than others too, which makes me think that those types of leopards more prone to pyramiding made it to the US.

This is all hypothetical of course, and not based on a whole lot of substantial information. If I ever become a millionaire and wouldn't have to work for a living, I would invest a lot of my time and money into researching my theory. :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I wish you could do that too Neal. I am curious about it. My three newest hatchlings are kept together in the same enclosure, and one seems to be getting a little bumpy where the two others are not. It is interesting to me also that the two smoother ones look more alike in color than the one that isn't as smooth. I have started checking every night to make sure the bumpy one is indeed going into the hide with the other two. Did I mention that they are all three clutch mates, and weigh exactly the same amount.

Mrsgnt

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks..I'll keep my fingers crossed that your lottery numbers come up then!
Really interesting thanks.

Definitly noticed a size difference too, always thought it was because we can't get Mazuri here in the UK (something to do with our bees and wasps?!?!)

I ask because my Leopard was housed horribly for his first 7 years but doesn't seem to have pyramidededed too badly considering. Don't get me wrong he isn't smooth by a long way, but compared to pictures I've seen of other rescued ones he's done well. Especially as he didn't even have any natural light before never mind UVB and heat. Poor thing. He's very small though.

Sorry Filbert for hijacking your thread

Status
Not open for further replies.