my tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianEmErson2012

5 Year Member
So I got my red foot on 12 27 12 and he hasnt eaten since he has drank one mouthful of water and he scraped a piece of carrot. after i started shredding them he hasn't eaten anything I also give him red lettuce i cant really send pics because my computer doesn't have a camera and im only 13 his habitat contains a shallow dish for food and deep dish for water some bark chips for the ground a fake plant and four white glow in the dark rocks the tank is a 20 in x 10 in x 12 in as for humidity i spray the enclosure at least once a day i also spray him too once a day in the morning I refresh his food every morning his water too

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
How are you providing heat? Tortoises can't eat unless they are able to warm themselves.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
His enclosure sounds rather small but I don't really think that is the main issue right now. I would spray his cage more than once a day. Make sure you take him out and put him in something with shallow warm water everyday.. especially since you haven't seen him drink anything. I'm not sure where you got him but I know I had one stop eating before as well. I would recommend some Mazuri diet as food, my baby loves it! This may help encourage him to start eating again. I'm sure others can offer you more information! Good luck with your little one!! :tort:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hi,
I am also a very young keeper so can relate but should be able to help-see other thread. What size and age is he as 20 inches long won't last for long? By a year old they need at least 3 by 2ft probably 4ft. We do need pics to tell you how to help improve the haitat and the state of the tortoise. Glow in the dark rocks aren't of any use whatsoever, normal rocks however are nice for a different ground. Don't use bark chips as a substrate instead use soil with leaflitter and moss on top(more natural). What lighting do you have? Diet wise feed 40% fruit(no acidic, tomatoes or bananas) and 60% weeds supplemented by veg. Every two weeks offer animal protein such as boiled chicken or dried low fat premium dog pellets soaked in water. Try and add in some real plants such as pansies and lavendar. If you have any specific questions regarding diet just PM me.

I also agree with immayo's advice. With baths make sure you get the temps perfect as torts are very picky. Best thing to get him to eat is cooked mushrooms(10 secs in a microwave) and then leave to cool. The cooking releases the smell better and I am yet to see a red foot or hear about one who refuses mushrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.