My Tort Seems To Be Chewing GUM! Please Explain.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
For the past couple of days I have noticed something new in my Greek tort: it would be sitting in its enclosure and I would suddenly hear strange sounds coming out of its mouth, as if chewing gum. The "funny" thing is that it does this when it is not eating. "Could it be hungry?" I thought. I therefore tried feeding it, but it turned out that this was not the case and neither was it thurst. This started a few days ago and when it went on I got worried. Does anyone have any explanation to the above? If so I would very much appreciate an answer to the above as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This can be a sign of impending respiratory infection. Yawning and excessive mouth movement. Or it might have been stung by an insect of some sort and it still hurts.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My thought at the title of this thread was maybe he has a little bit of food stuck near or in his mouth I've caught my Nank sitting there munching on nothing because there was a tiny bit of leaf near his mouth he was insistent on getting.
But seeing as its an ongoing thing I'd worry about respiratory infection. Does he/she make noises when this is happening?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My thought at the title of this thread was maybe he has a little bit of food stuck near or in his mouth I've caught my Nank sitting there munching on nothing because there was a tiny bit of leaf near his mouth he was insistent on getting.
But seeing as its an ongoing thing I'd worry about respiratory infection. Does he/she make noises when this is happening?
Thanks very much your reply.

No, my tort makes no noises whatsoever, when this :confused:"chewing of nothing" takes place. I too thought there might be a tiny bit o food in its mouth, but the thing has been going on for a couple of days when my tort is not eating.

Do you suggest my taking it to a vet?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thanks very much your reply.

No, my tort makes no noises whatsoever, when this :confused:"chewing of nothing" takes place. I too thought there might be a tiny bit o food in its mouth, but the thing has been going on for a couple of days when my tort is not eating.

Do you suggest my taking it to a vet?
Personally I freak out over small things when it comes to my tortoise, so I would have taken him to the vet, but it could also be money wasted for nothing. @Tom is definitely the one best to answer the vet question, he knows much more than I do.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Personally I freak out over small things when it comes to my tortoise, so I would have taken him to the vet, but it could also be money wasted for nothing. @Tom is definitely the one best to answer the vet question, he knows much more than I do.
Thanks very much your immediate reply as well as your help.

I know what you mean as far as money is concerned: it's a real issue nowadays. However, I'd rather waste money than have my beloved tort fall ill, GOD forbid.

Heather H

N.E. ohio

I know what you mean as far as money is concerned: it's a real issue nowadays. However, I'd rather waste money than have my beloved tort fall ill, GOD forbid.
wait to see what @Tom says :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

That was my logic the one time I rushed him to the vet, turned out he was just dehydrated, but that didn't make sense he always used his water so I didn't do regular soaks since I figured he got enough water. it ended up only costing me $80 for the checkup and fluid shot, so I was surprised it wasn't actually that much, but for a stupid mistake and panic (I'd started daily soaks the day before!!) it was money that didn't need to be spent. But despite that it was completely worth the spending.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That was my logic the one time I rushed him to the vet, turned out he was just dehydrated, but that didn't make sense he always used his water so I didn't do regular soaks since I figured he got enough water. it ended up only costing me $80 for the checkup and fluid shot, so I was surprised it wasn't actually that much, but for a stupid mistake and panic (I'd started daily soaks the day before!!) it was money that didn't need to be spent. But despite that it was completely worth the spending.
You say vets' visits are costly in the USA. Well you may not believe me:here in Jordan (and in the Arab world in general) they're much more expensive due to the fact that in this part of the world very few are those who like and consequently own animals/pets. This has allowed the very few vets available to raise prices of a visit. A doctor's visit would probably cost less. Moreover, our salaries are nowhere near salaries of you people in the USA or Europe for that matter. But if you want a pet this is what you have to pay for it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Stop giving your tortoise gum.
So does it open and close like he is eating invisible food?, is it barely opening and closing, like loose dentures perhaps? I am trying to get a feel for what is going on, any chance we could see video?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Stop giving your tortoise gum.
So does it open and close like he is eating invisible food?, is it barely opening and closing, like loose dentures perhaps? I am trying to get a feel for what is going on, any chance we could see video?
No, my tort does not seem to open and close its mouth while I hear that strange sound. So I cannot tell if it's loose dentures.

So sorry, I am still unable to post pics let alone videos.

Thanks a lot your help. Appreciate it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For the past couple of days I have noticed something new in my Greek tort: it would be sitting in its enclosure and I would suddenly hear strange sounds coming out of its mouth, as if chewing gum. The "funny" thing is that it does this when it is not eating. "Could it be hungry?" I thought. I therefore tried feeding it, but it turned out that this was not the case and neither was it thurst. This started a few days ago and when it went on I got worried. Does anyone have any explanation to the above? If so I would very much appreciate an answer to the above as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Is the tortoise eating the same, basking the same, drinking/soaking the same, exercising the same? If the tortoise is "business as usual" and is not lethargic, and is not lifeless, and is not showing mucus from its nose nor from its mouth....then I would not worry ....is the beak short enough that there is not an issue of eating? Is the tortoise wild or captive?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Is the tortoise eating the same, basking the same, drinking/soaking the same, exercising the same? If the tortoise is "business as usual" and is not lethargic, and is not lifeless, and is not showing mucus from its nose nor from its mouth....then I would not worry ....is the beak short enough that there is not an issue of eating? Is the tortoise wild or captive?
Thanks very much you reply.

Yes, my tort is still eating the same (in quality and quantity) basking, drinking, soaking is all the same. There don't seem to be any issues with eating: as I mentioned my tort is still eating well. I bought the tort from one of the very few "pet stores" available here. Yesterday it was nice and sunny so I took it out for a so-called "walk" which I know it enjoyed. Believe it or not, once we returned home, and after I gave my tort a soak, it stood beside the main door, as if saying: "I want to go out for another walk!"

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Thank you.

Also, please note that tortoise do make a variety of sounds as their normal day...you are likely just being treated to some of those....I always share this link just to show that they do...these are only sounds "caught" on audio...I can only imagine the ones that have not been recorded....

http://www.quijano.net/tq/turtlesounds.html

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also, please note that tortoise do make a variety of sounds as their normal day...you are likely just being treated to some of those....I always share this link just to show that they do...these are only sounds "caught" on audio...I can only imagine the ones that have not been recorded....

Thanks very much your alert.

I just checked the sounds one by one, but none of them is similar to the sound that my tort makes. Thank you once again your help, which I indeed do appreciate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks very much your alert.

I just checked the sounds one by one, but none of them is similar to the sound that my tort makes. Thank you once again your help, which I indeed do appreciate.

Sure. I attached that link to simply assure you that torts do make a variety of noises....I did not attach the link for you to attempt to match your torts noise to one of them...but simply to assure you that tortoise do make noise and that noise does not mean the tortoise is ill....have a great day.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england

that's very cool. i've never hear my tortoise make a sound, if i'd heard them out side i'd never have thought tortoise. i would have presumed it was some sort of birds . thanks for sharing

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My tortoise makes the sound after drinking water sometimes. Some vets are expensive here. Not all of them though.
By the way, I feel extremely sorry for Jordan's loss.... May he rest in peace.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sure. I attached that link to simply assure you that torts do make a variety of noises....I did not attach the link for you to attempt to match your torts noise to one of them...but simply to assure you that tortoise do make noise and that noise does not mean the tortoise is ill....have a great day.
I seemto have misundertsood you. Thanks your alerts.