My tort jumped from his enclosure :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thank you all for your advice, it's great to know that. As I'm a new to having a tort, I did not realise this would be too small, but it's all a learning process. Can i ask what size would be better for him?
The usual size quoted as minimum is 4'x8' but it doesn't necessarily have to be oblong - some use L shaped enclosures or even 2 storey. Are you handy yourself or know anyone who could help you with this.
It is indeed a learning process, I had a very steep learning curve but I have learned a lot and the advice here is invaluable!
Is your heat lamp in a ceramic holder with a metal shade, only the plastic holders can get too hot.
I'd worry about mine being so close to the curtains too.
Also what are you using as substrate? Torts are often attracted to little white bits and if eaten they could cause the gut to become impacted, same with sand if it gets on their food.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the Russian tortoise section under the species specific heading here on the forum. It will answer a lot of your questions and give you some good ideas. Also check out the enclosure section.
Other than when the weather gets nice you can build a nice outdoor enclosure that is secure so you don't have to watch him every minute he's outside. But for now check out those sections and he will be a happier tortoise once he has more room. Lots of room, deepest substrate, lots of "furniture", site barriers etc. will help make the enclosure feel bigger and more interesting.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks ,unfortunately it's late here and a sunday, i've called up and no vets are open. I have checked his breathing, and shell and legs , everything is seeings okay, he even ate food and had a walk and now he's in bed. I will take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. I'm hoping he'll be okay, he's so precious <3
Glad to hear your tort is fine; and sorry that there were no vets Sunday. The fact that he ate and had a walk, is somewhat re-assuring. Please let us know once you take him to a vet and good luck!

Sanch84

United Kingdom, London
Sorry all for my late response, lack of internet. Just an update, Sancho had his vet check, he's a tough little guy, everything checked out fine, vet said he is very healthy looking :) thanks to all for advice :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry all for my late response, lack of internet. Just an update, Sancho had his vet check, he's a tough little guy, everything checked out fine, vet said he is very healthy looking :) thanks to all for advice :)
That's GREAT news. Make sure he doesn't do it again.